1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How much salt???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jaclawn, Nov 25, 2000.

1. jaclawn

jaclawn Member

How much salt do you guys keep on hand? Not asking for specific quantities, but enough to cover how many salt runs?

Personally, I keep enough fot at least 3 runs at all times, and usually enough to cover 5 salt runs. If we are in a bad winter, and salt supplies are becoming short, I have kept enough for maybe 8-10 runs.

I did stock up late last year in anticipation of a large ice storm that was forecasted, and ended up sitting on that salt all summer.
  2. jaclawn

jaclawn Member

Does not anyone else stockpile salt?
  3. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Yes, 1 tri axel trailer dump at all times.

4. SLC1

SLC1 Senior Member

I try to keep on hand at all times at least 15 tons, don't like it to get lower than 10 tons.
  5. n y snow pros

n y snow pros Senior Member

We stock about 1000 tons of treated salt.Thats for our use as well as selling to contractors that come to us during a storm.We also have about 20 tons of sand/salt but we rarely use it,only if we run out of salt,which happened twice last year.