1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

how much salt?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by alteeter, Nov 18, 2008.

1. alteeter

alteeter Junior Member

Hey guys, hope Im in the right forum for this.....I am in process of quoting 5 smaller strip malls for snow removal on the sidewalks and store fronts as well as salting entire property when required. At this point I am going to be using an earthway high output spreader (ya just a 1 man-power spreader hehe) I was not expecting to be quoting for salting the parking lots but plow company salted way more than they needed to last year and the guys likes my work so.....I am in west michigan and here we are expecting 85 inches of snow and cold weather hanging on into march of next year. does anyone have good info or other sites where I can figure out how to calculate the amt. of salt I will need for the season? perhaps a pound of salt for X amt. of square feet? I know rates change depending on the product but am still very green on this....any help is greatly appreciated and oh ya