1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

how much salt ?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by nekos, Dec 13, 2005.

1. nekos

nekos Senior Member

im just asking out of curiosity so i don't need exact numbers or any thing. maybe a quick formula to help me understand how it work's ... how do you know how much salt to put down in a lot ?

Last edited: Dec 13, 2005
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Figure roughly 500# per acre. Adjust for conditions.

3. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Way to hard to tell. Your temp, snow cover, ice accumulations all play a role in how much you apply. 500lbs. would not nearly cover an acre they way I apply it.:eek: Maybe I apply too much? Charge them by the pound or the ton and you'll be fine. My customers know that the amount of salt varies greatly by conditions.

4. GAULK

GAULK Junior Member

i have read 8-10 lbs per thousand, and double if there is ice. weather is the key to spreading salt

5. me1223

me1223 Member

1lb /81sq.ft. (9sq.Yds.)

6. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

Saw something interesting on the internet and I don't know where or how it was figured. I am not saying this is accurate. If it is accurate, it is interesting. At 30 deg 1lb of salt will melt 46lb ice. At 25deg 1lb salt only melts 14.5lb ice. 20deg 1lb melts 8.5lb. Big drop in effectiveness from 30 to 25deg. Point is this: The colder it is the more salt you need. Ground temps affect this. Sun and traffic and other factors also figure in. Many variables involved to give you a straight answer on this one.

7. qualitylawncare

qualitylawncare Senior Member

We use ~750lbs of Rock Salt per acre. ~475lbs of Rock Salt per acre if its treated with magic.

8. Bounty Hunter

Bounty Hunter Junior Member

Salt useage

.02lbs/sqft. I use 800 - 1200 lbs/acre depending on the conditions. When I salt I want a little extra for the next snowfall.

Jack

9. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Picture a smaller Wendys lot w/drive thru. I use 600 pounds for normal after plow salting. Between 700 and 800 if is freezing and wet.