1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

how much salt?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by royals30, Jan 12, 2015.

1. royals30

royals30 Junior Member
    from MO

my business is growing and I've just been asked to bid a 5 acre lot to plow and salt. nothing to it, pretty straight forward, no obsticles other than light posts. how long would it take to plow and how much salt should i apply per acre?
  2. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

Need to know what equipment you have . And for salt do a search . You will get all different amounts.

With my equipment. Two trucks 2 hours Maybe less ,Maybe more. Depending what the trigger was. I would use depending on the storm maybe 3 1/2 to 4 yards of salt.
  3. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

1600 pounds per acre of salt? Damn.

We bid for 750 pounds per acre, but our average usage is below that. Worst case I'd figure 5000 pounds to cover the whole lot.

5 acre lot, wide open with no light poles, on a 2 inch snow I'd bid for 3.3 hours. In all reality the lot would be clear in about 2.5 with just a front blade. That's 8' with wings, 10' total v plow. I do a 5.8 acre lot with angle islands, over a dozen poles and handicapped signs to work around, and stupid employees, in and out from start to finish in 1.4 hours.
  4. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

Oops Sorry My math was way off on that one . :D :drinkup:
  5. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

30min an acre for open lots with a 8-8.5 blade with wings is a safe number to use up to about 4" per truck. One thing to remember the deeper the snow the bigger your windrows will be and you'll have to make a couple pushes with the blade being straight or scooped (if a V) to push the windrows to the pile. Also the more snow the more stacking is required which equals more time too.

Being in Mo your salt usage will probably be less per acre than the guys in the north due to temps and it also depends on the customers expectations. It can differ from 600-750# per acre.