1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How much salt per acre?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Spikegt, Mar 15, 2007.

1. Spikegt

Spikegt Junior Member
    from NW Ohio

How much salt do you normally out down on an acre? Thanks.

2. FIREMAN Q

FIREMAN Q Senior Member

do a search...

you will get many answers on this. It will depend on your weather and lot conditions. Many variables go along with this. There are times when I can get away with about 200 pounds on a lot on some storms and others it will be more like 500.

I use 600-800 per acre. This has worked for me.

good luck

3. Spikegt

Spikegt Junior Member
    from NW Ohio

Thanks for the input.

4. mrplowdude

mrplowdude Senior Member

depending on the temp depends on how much is need. I try for 300 per acre.

5. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

That seems kindy low to me. I like to see nice clean pavement ASAP so my numbers are alot closer to 750-1000 pounds per acre. Look for a lot atht is close to 1 acre and then think about how far anything under 500 will cover, that only 10 50 bags of salt. Not a whole lot of salt for that much sq ft. As said in some of the other post, it will also depend on surface temps and which direction the lot face's along with weather condition's.

Regards Mike

6. Spikegt

Spikegt Junior Member
    from NW Ohio

The reason I ask this question is because I was asked to bid a 2 acre factory lot. They said the company that plowed and salted last winter woud put down 4 tons per application. I thought that seemed high. The lot isn't even 2 full acres cause they always have semi trailers sitting taking up about 1/4 of the lot.

7. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

man 4 tons seems like alot of salt. I guess I would have to see the layout of the lot. I have one Oil change place that I plow that doesn't need salt but the Drs office 1 mile away that I plow needs salt all the time. Its all on how much sun the lots get, the oil change lot is always clear to the pavement within hours of plowing with no salt. It will also depend on how much snow is on the lot when you salt, takes alot more salt to burn 1 inch of snow vrs a dusting of snow.

Regards Mike

8. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Do a search, but I'll repeat it anyways.

Figure an average of 1,000\acre over an entire season. If life and the weather was perfect every time, you'd be able to get away with about 400-500#'s per acre.

On those mornings early or late in the season where you have a 1/4" and lots of time before opening and the temps are 30*, the 400# will be fine. Everything is south-facing, no shaded areas, not sloped to the north.

In the middle of Jan and it's 10*, snowing like the end of the world, the snow was late, cars are driving in, you're going to go as high as a ton per acre.

If they were paying for 2 tons per acre, they were getting hosed big time. The contractor is probably too low on salt prices and makes it up by lying about the actual amount applied.

9. Spikegt

Spikegt Junior Member
    from NW Ohio