1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How much salt out of a V box spreader?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Sno4U, Apr 7, 2007.

1. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

How do you know how much salt you've spread when using a V-box spreader?
    In the post below as you can see i've bought a Salt Dogg, now I'd like to know how you all do it. I do have thoughts of my own but wanna hear other ideas too. Thanks for the input. BTW I'll be using plain bulk salt or bagged(usually a drier product).

2. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

i give every lot a value (1-10 depending on size) when i'm all done salting, i count up how many loads i've used (6 yards for example) take the total yards divide by total of values. then i take the lot value # and multiply by the other # sorry, hard to frigging explain

3. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

Best thing to do would be to calibrate it the same way you would a lawn fertilizer spreader.

4. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

Yup, thats kinda what I figured I'd have to do. Alot of trial & error. So I am looking for a "short cut".
    I know there was a guy who had some kind of electronic meter who had posted on here about a year ago. His "meter" basically was an electronic eye that counted rotations of the spinner to give you an idea of how much you are spreading. Do do happen to know who or what I'm talkin' about?
    I'm not even sure it would work on my unit (why not?) but I figure its worth a try if its not cost prohibitive.