1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How much Salt or ice melt per acre

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by TJD, Feb 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TJD

TJD Junior Member

How much salt or ice melt are you guys applying per acre? I don't want to over charge my customers. I was told that 5 to 6 (50 pound bags) per acre should clear everything within an hour. Has anyone read or experienced different?

2. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

It will depend on conditions, do you use ice melt on parking lots? sounds expensive! 300lbs/ acre sounds a little light.

3. TJD

TJD Junior Member

Yes this would be for commercial use. For example if a normal size walmart is 30 acres we'd spend nearly 150 bags of 50 pounds on it. Is that still too light? If so what would you recommend..?

This is for a light storm - i.e. ice 1 inch or under no snow.

With all that being said I read somewhere where 1 guy mentioned that he would use more than 60 (50 pound) bags to handle 1 acre. If that's true, then I need to go and increase my pricing!

4. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Bags and a lot the size of Walmart do not go together.

5. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

Lol :laughing:

I concur.

6. TJD

TJD Junior Member

Well, then I guess that means we got started off on the wrong foot..lol

Im still waiting for some real help around here though...?

So, I take it as most responsible contractors have the salt dumped on the lot for a store/lot that big. Okay, so how much salt is still the question? I don't want to do them a disservice, so I could use the help figuring this thing out. Im a landscaping guy forced to snow by contract...lol

7. nepatsfan

nepatsfan Senior Member

I say a ton per acre... no exact science though, depends a lot on conditions.

8. nepatsfan

nepatsfan Senior Member

You use a lot less at the end of a storm with a clear lot rather than trying to burn off an inch. Also depends on snow, wet or dry- temps etc. Lots of factors

9. 1olddogtwo

On the low end 700/800lbs.

10. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

Why are you using bagged product on a lot that size in the first question? You are throwing money out the window by not using bulk. I have always figured out from 500 to 1000 lbs per acre depending on traffic, surface and air temps, how much sun the lot gets and is it on the north or south side of the building and shade. So in your example you put down 7500 lbs of ice melt to service the lot. Now what type of ice melt are you using because rock salt is considered ice melt or are you using calcium? More info would help. And the post about a ton of product per acre seems excessive IMO.

11. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

No kidding.

If you think you can burn off an inch of ice per acre with anything less than a ton, you're using jet fuel and a lighter as well.

1,000# acre. This covers early .1" of snow to a blizzard with 2" per hour and 10* or a half inch in March.

That's an average.

Can it be as low as 500#\acre? Sure. Can it be as high as a ton\acre? Sure.

12. BC Handyman

I'll X2 that:laughing:

13. TJD

TJD Junior Member

Quick answer because I'm new at this with no one to help or guide me. My only counsel comes from this site, and sometime this doesn't come through pending on who answers the questions.

Rock Salt was used the one time we actually had to go out which cost me locally 6 to 7 bucks per bag.

The storm we treated for wasn't heavy at all. I cant remember all the specifics but it was somewhere between 28-31 degrees no snow accumulation with a build-up of ice that at most gave you an inch covering in untreated areas.

14. TJD

TJD Junior Member

I now feel like Im being helped. However, I'm still seeing a big difference in what some of you are saying. The one thing I know for sure at this point is to have my salt delivered to the place and no more bags..lol

With that being said I saw someone say to treat ice build-up it should be 1 ton per acre. Im not a genius so laugh if Im wrong, but doesn't one ton equal 2,000 pounds? If that's the case then I royally screwed myself, which explains why I had to go back. I kept reading and then I saw someone say nearly 700LBS are good enough for 1 acre. That's a 1300LBS difference.

15. TJD

TJD Junior Member

I know there is not a science to it as 1 + 1 will forever = 2, but there has to be a formula to follow so that all of us that are trying to do right can.

16. TJD

TJD Junior Member

17. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

X2... a good general rule of thumb to go by....to make it even easier on small lots 20 lbs per 1000 square feet

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  18. BC Handyman

If your asking me, I would say rock salt will be 600-1800lb per acre, yes you might need close to a ton per acre.:eek:
    I personaly never seen a pile of salt left on site at a walmart, I would think walmart would not allow piles of salt left on site, maybe I'm wrong though. I would think you would need to bring in in your spreader each time. Thats how its done around here anyway.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  19. 1olddogtwo

We stockpile salt here in chicago at the Walmart. Well I should say in the past we did.

20. yardguy28

yardguy28 Senior Member

personally I don't do lots that large but I know people who do and they still use bags.

it's called no place to store bulk salt for one thing. and no way to load it is another.

my buddy does lots the size of walmart with his pick up with tailgate spreader. he has no place to store bulk salt or no way to load it. he loads a pallet from the salt store and fills the spreader a bag at a time.

right now my commercial lot is small enough I'm just using a walkbehind spreader but if I add another commercial lot or 2 next season I'm still going with the 50lbs bags.

I know I have no place to store bulk salt and no way to load it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.