1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How much salt is applied

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by gixxer27, Dec 25, 2009.

1. gixxer27

gixxer27 Junior Member

Im new to the salting side of this journey, Dont quite know how much to toss out. I was told 15lb per 1000sqft. dont know if it matters that im in wisconsin,since ice tends to be the same anywhere you are. in fact its been freezing sleet most of the day here, maybe i should be investing in a tow truck instead.
  2. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

In my opinion there is no standard application rate, only a suggested average application rate. Totally depends on how much ice or snow you need to melt. Enough to melt the snow or ice without having any undissolved salt leftover.:nod:
    It's been heavy rain here In Illinois for 2 days, think it's time to put the squeegy on the Kubota! :laughing: On an average for me 12-20 lbs per 1000 sq ft.
  3. bristolturf

bristolturf Senior Member

what i did the first time I salted was this, measured out my shop lot and it came to like 10k and i salted it. Now I dont know how every one else salts, but in a two lane parking lot with parking on either side, i go down the center each way and then down each the parking lanes averaging about 10mph. So i did this at my shop. My standard spread rate is at 5-6 on the dial. Loaded up 300lbs of salt (bagged) and started salting. And i hit everything, backed into corners the whole works. I finished and had about 80-100lbs left. So I figured my standard salt rate was about 20lbs/k. Essentially you need to do this yourself too. Figure out what your rates are. What I spread per K and you spread might be the same but might be different, speed, settings, the way you salt (two passes per lane then 1 per parking) or (1/each section).I did that to figure out my standard rate per site. Now i figured this when it was needed, meaning not wasting salt. I did this following my route, and then I could figure what to bill people for based on that. I price per lb, and give rough figures per how much I use in a light to heavy app.

Now if you have a Vbox your best bet is to do the same thing, but visit a truck stop and use the scale. Weight the truck prior to filling with the box, top the box off and weight it, so you know how much material it will hold. Measure a lot, use the standard spread rate that you want and then following it, go weight again and you have your numbers so you can go and do some math.
  4. Runner

Runner Senior Member

Yep. This has been written on here or years that 20#/M is a good average amount to go by. Granted, I've had a few people try to argue that this is wrong, but I stick by it, and have advised many people on it, and they have concurred on the 20# rule of thumb. Now, This is based on bagged on bagged salt, which is dry, but running bulk salt is not much different.
  5. bristolturf

bristolturf Senior Member

exactly that number was derived from bagged as i said if your running bulk it needs to be done from that method I said. and really you need to take in account your material, is it outdoors, indoors wetter, dry etc.