1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How much salt in washed sand

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by coastaldc, Nov 13, 2008.

1. coastaldc

coastaldc Junior Member
    from 04401

I was wondering how everyone else is mixing their sand and salt. I use washed sand and do not want it to freeze but also want it to be strong enough to melt. 20% salt? 30% salt? What is everyone doing? Thanks guys.

2. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

1 part salt 0 parts sand works well:D

3. coastaldc

coastaldc Junior Member
    from 04401

Yes it sure does. In a perfect world with unlimited funds I would use it straight more often. However, I do have customers that want the sand/salt mix for traction and a bit of melting. Most of my customers do not want to pay for straight salt.

4. blizzak

blizzak Junior Member

We use a lot of 80/20 works good

5. coastaldc

coastaldc Junior Member
    from 04401

Thanks blizzak, anyone else care to share their formula?

6. Randy's plowing

Randy's plowing Junior Member

We usually use 90% sand and 10% salt, we do some paved county roads and it works well

7. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Around my part of the world,it's 60%sand,40% salt--works good for our weather conditions.

8. purpleranger519

purpleranger519 Senior Member
    from Kansas

60%/40% or 70%/30% we also use sand washed in calcium chloride.

9. TurfSolutionsMN

TurfSolutionsMN Senior Member
    from MN

How do you know if your sand is to wet too spread? What do you do if it is?

10. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

i used to mix sand and when i did it i mixed at 75/25 ratio but be careful and you better explain to your customers that you are mixing sand in the with salt. if you dont, they will be in for a huge awakening and will be extremely pissed, i've had it happen to me, sand is very messy when the snow melts and in the spring time.

11. purpleranger519

from Kansas

Sand is very messy($$$$) .....here 75% of the guys use a sand/salt mix though...it's kinda the norm. We go back after the last snowfall/spring and sweep all of our lots. We get paid for putting it down and picking it back up.

12. TPC Services

TPC Services Senior Member

Got a ? for the east coasters then if you guys are running a lot stonger mix or even striaght salt do you have a lot of concrete work up there then, ( if it is I love to be a concrete guys up there!) ain't it the more straight up salt you run the more corrosive it is to the concrete? around here they either will not let you run it at all or very little, have one PMC that only allows you to put potassium chloride melt in your mix!

Last edited: Nov 16, 2008
  13. coastaldc

coastaldc Junior Member
    from 04401

Littlea92 a concrete parking lot is extremely rare in this part of the jungle, I know of only one in this town. Not sure why it still looks so good, it gets salt every winter, has for 10 years, they must treat it. Your thinking is correct though. I have concrete sidewalks that have to be treated to cut down on the corrosion.

14. coastaldc

coastaldc Junior Member
    from 04401

Side note about conctete: most good contractors will try to educate the cliant on the destructive properties of salt on concrete and we will also put info in our contracts such as: Contractor will not be held liable for damage to plantings or concrete surfaces caused by de-icers and or snow plowing operations. Contractor will exercise due care and caution while performing services so as to avoid damage to Owners property. If you have the man power it is also a great way to drum up business treating concrete and makes you feel you are doing the right thing for your customers.

15. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

depends on where you are located. here in wny where 100"+ a year is average, you have to use salt or else you wont keep up. and actaully ive been looking at possibly getting into calcium chloride which is more reactive than sodium chloride

16. cretebaby

i dont even mention it

does that mean i am not a good contractor

i try hard to sell them more salt not talk them out of it

we have a lot of concrete parking lots around here and more are poured everyday, much less maintenance them asphalt, and yes idealy it would get sealed every year but realisticly who has the time or money

salt isnt nearly as hard on concrete as you think, not using salt can be hard on it to since it is the freeze thaw cycle that damages the concrete not the salt,

sand in my opinion is a waste of time and money,why truck and spread sand around, why not just spread enough salt to get the job done and go home

:waving:

Last edited: Nov 17, 2008
  17. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

X2. I agree. Unless you NEED to mix sand this year because of shortages. Otherwise straight salt is the way to go.

18. purpleranger519

from Kansas

We charge for putting it down and picking it back up here. We sweep 75% of my customers lots in the spring to pick up the sand. $125 an hour is well worth the time and money to me.

19. cretebaby

sounds like your doing them a real service

20. purpleranger519

from Kansas

Like I said....mixing sand with salt is the norm here everybody does it. On top of my snow removal customers, I'm also sweeping around 35-45 lots for other customers or contractors as well so I'm guessing they like the service.