1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How much salt in a bin...?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Sno4U, Nov 8, 2008.

1. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

If I built a bin w/ 4 ft sidewalls and it measured 10 ft by 12 ft how much salt would it be able to hold. I would only fill it till it went up the sides about 2 ft.
    What's the math formula for figuring this out?
    Sorry for the dumba$$ question but I wasn't very good at math in school ...and yes I did graduate.

2. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

about 9 tons if its 2 feet deep

3. dirtmandan2

dirtmandan2 Senior Member

10' x 12' x 4' / 27 = 17.7 yards length times width times depth divided by 27

4. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

But, I was figuring, it'll be 2 ft at the sides, but it will be heaped up w/ a skid loader:)

5. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

so less on the sides and more in the middle Still 18 tons you just took the stuff on the sides and put it in the middle

6. dirtmandan2

dirtmandan2 Senior Member

in a 10 x 12 bin only going 2 feet up the sides your not going to be able to "heap" it up...

7. snowandgo

snowandgo Senior Member

I don't have the formula, but a 20-24 ton load takes about a 15x20 area without walls. I've got a pile of about 8 ton taking up about 10x10 right now.

I'd go a little higher than cretebaby and say 10-12 ton.

And I agree, you don't have the room to heap it up.

8. alfman

alfman Junior Member

A ton of salt takes 25 cubic ft of space.