1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How much salt have you used 07/08

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by lawnsrusinc., Dec 28, 2007.

1. lawnsrusinc.

lawnsrusinc. Senior Member

How much salt have you guys and girls used so far this year? I have less accounts this year but have gone threw 2x more salt than last year. I have used 200 tons so far and have 60 tons on hand. Do you all fear that we might have a salt shortage?

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

I have gone through 15 pallets of bagged 50 pounders so far.

And yes I am starting to hoard it now for the shortage that is sure to follow this season.

49x15=735x50#= 36,750 lb./2000= 18.375 ton.

All loaded by hand using a Western 1000.
  3. carcrz

carcrz Senior Member

30 tons of salt & 2 pallets of deicer
  4. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

+/- 500 tons in our village so far. Salt barn empty enough to worry a bit. It's a problem all over here....can't get it shipped fast enough. Have to place emergency orders....have over 300 tons on order right now.............
  5. Snowpower

Snowpower Senior Member

I've spread 8 tons, and have 6 tons left. I know I am gonna need another 10 at least.

All fifty pound bags through a tailgate.
  6. WINTER 3

WINTER 3 Member
    from Vermont

4 tons so far
  7. snowconcepts

snowconcepts Member

40 tons so far and 1.5 ton of walk salt
  8. hotshot4819

hotshot4819 Senior Member

im easily over 200 tons salt, and prob 50 ton salt sand mix...
  9. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

i am currently awaiting my 4th load

they say the salt mine that was designated to the midwest, collapsed or flooded or something so if it is not pre-bought it is not getting shipped in.......so yeah we are screwed. but north american salt company which we have delt with for years worked me in a couple of loads;) so i'll be fine.......hopefully:eek:

we have used 2X what we normally use all year and we have only had about 7 events but. no-one else in my town can get salt so i am writing contracts like crazy :dizzy:

we have used about 4-5 ton of walk salt and the other day i called my uncle which ownes a grocery store looking for melter and he hooked me up with potasium chloride for 50lb@$3 a bagpurplebou but he only had 2 pallets
  10. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

used about 21 ton of treated (sugar beet) and about 2 ton of sidewalk pellets. it's been crazy for us, we already have billed out more $$$ this year than we ever have ALL season.
  11. MStine315

MStine315 Senior Member

30 tons bulk to date plus (30) 80 lb bags and (98) 50 lb. bags. Along with around 60 bags sidewalk salt. I had a supplier call me a week ago saying there is a huge salt shortage. I figured he was just trying to make a sale, but maybe not? I have 5 pallets of 50's in the shop I can fall back on. It has been a great month.
  12. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

We've run through about 200-250 tons of treated salt, also 9 or 10 pallets of sidewalk material. We have about another 150 tons on the ground and are expecting more shipments soon.
  13. newlooklandscp

newlooklandscp Senior Member
    from Midwest

20-25 tons bulk
  14. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

Used about 100 ton of bulk. Every busy December leads to the shortage stories. I guess we will just have to see what January has in store for us..
  15. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

we have used about 200 tons and have about 400 tons on hand so far this year.When I was in lemont picking up a load last week , they had 6 or more barges to unload still.
  16. ptllandscapeIL

ptllandscapeIL Senior Member

20 pallets of 50 pounders,3 pallets of landscapers choice and 2 pallets C.C,
    on hand 3 pallets of rock salt,30 bags landscapers choice