1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How much salt can my 1 Ton Haul?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by steve b, Dec 12, 2005.

1. steve b

steve b Member

Usually I have as much as 12,000 lbs on it. It really rocks back and forth. I could put more if I put higher sides on it. Has anyone put more than that on it. Should I do any plowing with that much weight?
  2. plowman777

plowman777 Senior Member

i really overloaded a truck once and it was the tires that got all squishy.
    so check the capacity of your tires. u can get bigger springs installed also.
    talk to a shop that does this for advice on final capacity. but you are going to be over mfgs rated load.
  3. lorentzlawnsnow

lorentzlawnsnow Senior Member

have you had your suspension beefed up? 12k is a lot of weight for a 1 ton. not to mention you are way over legal.
  4. Jpocket

Jpocket Senior Member

Even with everthing else beefed up, I would be worried if you had an auto transmission, and were going to push snow too. The manual trans. usually has a low gear so you can get the load moving. I just don't think your transmission will be up to hauling that weight and pushing a blade.

MOW ME OVER Senior Member

The guy that I sub for has a 2003 F350 regular cab long bed srw. He installed the firestone airbags on the rear and when he loads his spreader he usually has 5 tons in it. The truck does not sag at all when the air bags are aired up. Now I'm not saying that this is safe but just giving an example.
  6. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

You have a one ton vehicle and are putting a six ton load on it? This in addition to the weight of the vehicle itself, any equipment - like the plow and sander and passengers. And your question is whether or not you should plow? If you're carrying six tons of salt or sand, you apparently have a three yard spreader or have 12" sideboards on a two yarder. Either way, what you have is:

7. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation Senior Member

Trucks are rated for their gross weight , meaning the weight of the truck ,plus fuel passanger and what ever you are hauling. Its not a matter of if the truck sags , it has to do with the braking capacity , tire capacity , and over all safety of the truck. Sure you can put 12000 lbs on the truck , but if you are involved in an accident and you are over the manufacturers gross vehicle rating , you are screwed. It doesnt matter how much you beef up the springs or tires .

To put things into perspective a Tandem dump truck with air brakes , 3 axels , much heavier tires carries about 20 tons. Now you want to carry about 1 third of the weight on a 1 ton ( a 1 ton is basicly a built up pick up)
    A disaster waiting to happen
  8. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

HUMMMM???? 1 ton?
  9. Ian

Ian Member

To answer your question, your one ton should be able to carry one ton, maybe.

The 12000# amount mentioned had better be including truck, driver, fuel, cargo (salt) and any other gear. I think the truck frame would fold with 12k of cargo.

For example, my 96 Dodge 3500 (1 ton ) has a GVWR (gross vehicle weight rating) of 11000#. With this math, the truck would clearly be over by 1000.

A one ton should be able to carry one ton, however, that isn't always the case. If the truck is an extended cab or 4 door, four wheel drive with all the extra add ons, the amount available for cargo can be less that 2k and still stay under the GVWR.
  10. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

How do you fit 5 tons of salt in an 8' bed?
  11. frostservices

frostservices Member

A one ton rating on a truck does not mean that you can only carry one ton . I would say a one ton duelly would have a gvwr of about 12,000# and an empty weight of about 8,000 # meaning your payload would be 4,000#. Which I wouldn`t be afraid to plow with ,but if you even double your payload to 8,000# you would want to be very careful of stuff cause you will get very good traction and could really tear stuff up if you start pushing all you can push with that kind of weight. I have had as much as 6,000# on my f-250 srw but its more than you wanna push snow with , and your exceeding the manufacters gvw by about 3,500# I Would not put over 2 ton on for plowing and just do what your truck handles well for salting , if your not on the hiway alot it shouldn`t hurt to exceed your gvwr some but remember the heavier you load the more chance to break something.
  12. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

The tranny shop, axle shop, front end shop, brake shop, and tire shops are all going to love you. lol
    Let's not forget the cops.
    If you had 12000 lb on it, I hope it was on the trailer you were pulling which was rated at 12k or more. You are asking for a disaster. I am not afraid to put 3k on a salt truck that is going to salt, but usually don't plow with that much. We plow and salt with what we use for ballast, then go back to re-fill the trucks just to salt with about 3k. Keep in mind, we are not going over 10min from load site, and when we get there we are dumping weight immediately. Listen to the guys on this site. They are pros and not one of them was trying to promote the idea of carrying this much weight on a one ton truck. Be careful, there is not enough stopping power (especially on ice) to stop that when some 17 year old girl pulls out in front of you. Then it is lawsuit city!
  13. EJK2352

EJK2352 Senior Member

This is total B.S. There is no way in hell he is putting 5 tons on a single rear wheel truck. The tires are rated load range E to carry about 3000-3400 lbs. With 5 tons on the truck, plus the weight of the spreader, the rims would be darn close to touching the ground. I wouldn't drive anywhere with that much on that truck.
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2005
  14. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

Not to mention stopping power!!!
  15. go plow

go plow Senior Member

all i want to know is how do you STOP!!!!!!! or is that what the plow is for???
  16. golden arches

golden arches Senior Member

With that much weight, you put a chain on the spreader... and toss it out like an anchor and hope it grabs hold of something.. and pray~!

We all try to do more with less, but there's a limit to even the best imagination.
  17. mr.plow 2

mr.plow 2 Member

i have got a 94 dodge is has a 8800. gvrw and when im fully loaded spreader witch is snow-ex 450lbs by it self and 9'2" boos v i tip the scales at 15,439 pounds hope this give you something to think about ....... what these trucks will hold!!!!!:D
  18. golden arches

golden arches Senior Member

Don't have a flat without a 20 ton jack!

Seriously, there's a breaking point between safely and safety. If you hit someone fully loaded, your life will be miserable while you try to settle the claims.

What do you have your truck licensed for?
  19. terraventure

terraventure Member

ridiculously overweight

If you are truly putting 12 k in a one ton truck that is ridiculous. It is this reason why the DOT in NH is cracking down on smaller trucks. I run an F550 with a 17.5gvw. The most I have gone over the scales is a bit over 22k. The truck can haul it but stopping it is another story. The tires are rated for a bit over 20k. I would not intentionaly run that much weight. I was loaded with a cat988.
  20. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

What are using to weigh your truck a bathroom scale?My 2005 F350[pickup],9ft fisher,2yrd sander loaded with 3k lbs of salt,fuel and 200lbs of icemelt.I leave the scale at #11,600 my GVW is #10500.I dont believe your dodge is that heavy