1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

how much plow can a 99 f250 7.3 handle?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Shoreline, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Shoreline

Shoreline Member

I have to replace my plow truck and I'm looking at a 99 F250 with the 7.3. I'd like to put a V blade on it. How big can I go and what modifications if any should I do to the front suspension? This truck already has after market air bags in the back.

2. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

We run a 1999 and a 2000 F-250 7.3 Ext Cab, short bed models both with 8'6" Hiniker V-Plows. The only mods we have ever done was Timbren load boosters in the front of them no problems and they plow great

3. bigbadbrad

bigbadbrad Senior Member

got a 02 f-250 7.3l with an xtreme vee 8.5ft, wishing i woulda gone with 9.5ft, could easily handle it. i have tuff country leveling kit on the front, and readylift 5" rear blocks

4. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

I think it will handle just about any plow you put on it. X-Code springs in the front should be mandatory.

5. bigbadbrad

bigbadbrad Senior Member

i just checked my sticker in the door jamb, says front is 5200, is that the biggest on the f-250?

6. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

For our generation of trucks, yes. 05+ got more front axle capacity.

7. nevrnf

nevrnf Senior Member

I run X code springs with a xtra leaf on my 99 F250 and i have run a Blizzard 8611lp on it for a couple of seasons. I run a Boss 9' now for 2 seasons without any issuse.

8. sd_truck_tech

sd_truck_tech Inactive

Hey Shoreline,

We got a ton of guys that come in the shop with those exact trucks and the only thing we normally add for them is a timbren kit. This 99 F250 Timbren Kit should work perfectly for you and allow you to use any plow (within reason) without sagging or squatting in the front.

What plow model were you looking to use?

9. tysonmatc2

tysonmatc2 Member

Hey bigbadbrad, I have the same truck and am looking at a 8'-6" Extreme V, I would like the 9'-6" but cannot afford that much, I found a sweet deal on a new one, end of the season kind of deal. Would you suggest buying this one or wait till fall and buy the 9'-6" I just do a few residential and couple commercial lots in town.

10. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

super wet heavy snow?? 8 foot max.
    nice light fluffy snow? 11 foot with no problem.
    it all depends on what you are going to be pushing.

11. tysonmatc2

tysonmatc2 Member

I ordered the 8'-6" today, the more I looked around on the net that seemed to be the most popular size V plow on these trucks.

12. Shoreline

Shoreline Member

I found a used but good shape Boss 8'2 power V. Nice plow.

13. bigbadbrad

bigbadbrad Senior Member

it works good and everything, but if I would have to do it again i would get the 9.5' in stainless instead, the truck will handle it really good but in scoop or vee you just cover the tires with the 8.5' but you can always buy the wings if you need more, but i just plow my own driveway, so if you are working it you might want the bigger one, but i seen you all ready odered so it's too late now

14. tysonmatc2

tysonmatc2 Member

If I can pick up a couple more accounts next year I will buy the wings. I would like to get 2 or 3 more commercial accounts in town.

15. sbrennan007

sbrennan007 Senior Member

7.3L Diesel

This is a pic of my '00 F350 7.3L Diesel with a 9' Western on it. This engine and truck combo pushed snow like there was no tomorrow.

My buddy had a '99 F250 with an 8' Western and had wished he had gone with a lager blade.

They are tough trucks!

Enjoy your new setup!

[​IMG]

16. tysonmatc2

tysonmatc2 Member

I was just talking to a guy about the trip design on the plow like I ordered and he said he had problems with the black tripping on the bottom, he said he would plow a gravel driveway and the gravel would get caught in the crack and the blade would not trip back up all the way so there for would not push snow? Anyone ever have this problem?

17. bigbadbrad

bigbadbrad Senior Member

nope springs are pretty strong usually can brake something in between hinge

18. tysonmatc2

tysonmatc2 Member

I guess I forgot to mention his was a Boss too. Maybe the designs are different. He was trying to talk me into canceling my order this weekend and ordering a Boss V-XT. I am going to stick with the Fisher.