1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

how much per bag of salt to charge?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by kevinwebster1, Nov 23, 2006.

1. kevinwebster1

kevinwebster1 Member

what should i charge per bag of salt? i just plan on dumpin it in a spreader and walkin/running the lots that i have with it. i think its costin me 7-9 bucks per bag of salt. anybody have any advise?

2. DuallySnoPusher

DuallySnoPusher Senior Member

Price

For a start i woudn't charge anything less then double what you paid. Im guessing they are 50lb bags.

3. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

Last year before I went to bulk salt I was charging $15.00 per 80# bag of salt. The salt cost me $4.95 per bag hope this helps.

4. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

Here it is the following:

50 lb. bag salt applied --- $9.50

50 lb. bag de-icer applied --- $15.00

Just FYI, I spread de-icer only, nobody ever wants salt compared to de-icer.:rolleyes:

5. kevinwebster1

kevinwebster1 Member

ok yea, im still in the stages of saying salt when i mean icemelt. SORRY! haha. and yes that does help. ill just have to call people and up the prices! thanks a lot

6. NoFearDeere

Yeah I do the same thing.....i'm starting to get in the habit of saying de-icer instead of salt. As soon as people hear salt, they think concrete pitting, burned grass, etc. :D

7. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

WOW! I charge $20.00 per 40KG bag of salt and $30 per ice melter with CMA, Ice melter here costs 12.50 per bag. Must be alot different down there

8. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

50 lbs of de icer = 15.00 applied

9. polarplowing

polarplowing Member

In Grand Forks I pay $7.50 per bag of Road Crew icemelter mix (calcium chloride, magnesium chloride, and a few others, just can't remember) And I charge $18.00 per bag, with no complaints.
    Ryan

10. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

those of us who charge by the bag will never be able to compete price wise with those using bulk. that said, charge as much as you can get away with, and hope your customer doesn't get a quote from a bulk guy. It is this reason that I went to automatic salting with all commercial customers, this way the price is melted into the plowing price.

11. NoFearDeere

I plan on raising my rate next year. The product is about $10.00 per bag, thats buying a pallet at a time. I buy 3 pallets before each season. My supplier told me the cost per bag will probably go up next year...:rolleyes:

12. Scottscape

Scottscape Senior Member

try to figure 30cents per lb applied. material included

13. traviswalker007

traviswalker007 Senior Member

pricesssss

were do you buy salt for 4.95 /50lb bag...im paying 7.99 a bag at menards for rock salt???

14. Rcgm

Rcgm Senior Member

HOme Depot has rock salt here in Indianapolis for 1.99 rock salt by quikrete.I won't pay more than 3.50 a bag for rock salt ever look around.

RCGm
    Brad

15. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

I just went to my supplier today and got prices on a Western hand controller and checked thier salt prices. They went to #50 (49)bags for $3.98 plus 6% sales tax if you buy a pallet, thats $4.22 per bag or like $206.78 I'd say you guys should shop around

16. BigTruckNuts

BigTruckNuts Junior Member

Magic Salt works pretty godd, but next time around I think a pallet of quikrete or bulk is what I am goin to use. For the amount I am charging per pound Magic Salt is too expensive.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2006
  17. Greensway

Greensway Member

Salt pricing

In December I picked up a pallet of salt & pallet of calcium pellets at the Home Depot for a lot less than what is being discussed in this thread.
    $2.92 salt / $ 10.75 calcium

Should be able to get it for even less now with them not moving any,,, but then again we are'nt moving any either!!!

HomeDepot De-icers (Small).gif

HomeDepot De-icers (Small).gif

18. Duracutter

Duracutter Senior Member
    from Canada

You're right Triple L. No need to give away service for peanuts.

If you pay $8/bag of 50 lb deicer or whatever price you pay, to make ANY money, you need to triple and a bit more.
    We charge $30/bag for that deicer. Why give it away?????

Charge to make money. I also charge a travel fee to get there above the cost of the bags. Why give the farm away?