1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How much paint?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by deebo1133, Nov 4, 2009.

1. deebo1133

deebo1133 Member

I have done a lot of searching and see that guys generally like the TSC Valspar implement paint or the Rustoleum Sunrise Red. But one thing that never seemed to be mentioned was how much paint and primer? I am assuming about the same amount of primer as paint. I am painting a 7'6" plow and all the plow side bracketry, parts and pieces, etc. I am going to roll and brush and it is from bare clean metal(sandblasted everything)?

Also, are both of these paints a one stage or do I need a clear for either or both? This will make my final decision as to what paint to buy. Also, has anyone painted their springs? And did you use a flex agent, or will one of the above listed w/o the hardener work?

I have before pictures and will continue to take pictures throughout the project. I will start a thread when finished!
  2. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

I use automotive self etching primer and that 'Rust Reformer' flat black on the wings and undercarriage/ A frame coupler. I like the way that Reformer looks as a color coat.

Then I just use plain o'le rattle can red from Rustoleum.

Hell, it's just a plow. Mine ain't no show car. I just like to cover up the rust on it. Rattle can is better than rust any day.
  3. aeronutt

aeronutt Senior Member

I have found that the primer runs out faster than the color when I paint freshly sandblasted parts. About 3:2 ratio for primer-to-paint seems to be my luck when I paint just enough to get good color coverage. This usually means 2 full coats of paint. I use the green self-etching stuff in a rattle can followed by Rustoleum Sunrise Red. The rust reformer primer is not a good choice for freshly sandblasted parts. One other trick I've discovered to keep the paint from getting rust started under it is to wire-wheel the sharp edges to round them over a bit. The sharp edges on the back of plow ribs tends to give a place for rust to get started creeping under. You will probably end up using about 5 cans of primer and 4 cans of paint for a complete plow job. It won't hold up to abrasion from dirty snow as well as powder coating, but it's a lot easier to touch up. A few extra coats on the face of the plow wouldn't be a bad idea.
  4. deebo1133

deebo1133 Member

Thank you both for your help. I will post pics after today. Primed already, going to paint today. I agree that it is just a plow but since I have gone as far as sandblasting it, I wanted to paint it right as I am just a homeowner and do my familys driveways so I figure a thorough job should last a while.
  5. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

I used 2 quarts of the SEM self etching primer with catalyist. I then used 3 quarts of SEM Fisher Yellow mixed with the hardner.
    See link in my signature shows painting and refurb/conversion of plow.