1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How Much P/Hour?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Stan, Jan 20, 2004.

1. Stan

Stan Senior Member

Just curious what the rates per hour are in different places. Based on owner operators employed by contractors with "pickup" size trucks.???

2. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

try to get a buck 25 here :) :D

3. apkole

apkole Member

What Eyesell said, then add some. I like to see our subs a little over $100/hr, and most seasons they are. Good equipment and reliable people are worth every cent.

4. jo2fst4u

jo2fst4u Member

I get $50 with my own truck for a another company. The drivways i do i get $20 to $50 I have about a dozen drives. I have a few parking lot that are on call

5. JMR

JMR Senior Member

I think I'm pretty competitive for my area @ $110 per hour average for commercial work. We have some contracts that are hourly, by the push and by total 24 hr snowfall. Going rate for subs. is $50-60. Hand crews are billed additional on all jobs @ $30.00 per hour. Sand and Salt is by the ton. Residential is always billed by the push. I think we make more hourly doing residential, but a majority of my contracts are commercial.

6. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

I am right there with JMR. I get $110 - $125 / hour and pay subs $50 - $60 per hour based on equipment and experience.

7. DJL

DJL Senior Member

I believe this question is too vague. A "pickup Size" truck could mean a small pickup (i.e ranger, S10, etc.) w/ a 6.5' plow all the way up to a F350 with a 9' straight or some type of V-plow. Wouldn't the rates depend on the size of the plow and/or the experience of the operator? I think the better question would be what someone gets paid per hour for "x" size plow on a 1/2, 3/4, 1-ton pickups. Just my opinion.

8. Plow Meister

I wouldn't even hire an S-10 or any other 1/4 ton truck. Now, don't get me wrong here... The flame suit is now on:yow!: There is rarely a difference between plow vehicles of 1/2 ton through 1 ton. Yes, I know more blade can safely be mounted on a 1 ton. But for the most part, they all plow the same. 99% of it all is driver experience and knowledge of the lay of the land.

I don't think it is too vague a question.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2004
  9. JMR

JMR Senior Member

I agree, I think we are talking average 1/2-1 ton trucks 7 - 9' blades. I don't believe we are talking about heavy equipment, loaders or light duty trucks.

10. S-10 Plower

S-10 Plower Senior Member

OK not trying to start a war here but what is wrong with a s-10 I have one and have plowed with it for three years it serves its purpose

11. Plow Meister

Don't worry, S-10 plower. I have absolutely nothing wrong with S-10's. They just can't move the same amount of snow a 1/2 ton - 1 ton can within a reasonable time frame.

I plow commercial 70% and industrial 30% of the time. With such large open areas it comes down to the size of the blade and horsepower. Time is money. What may take me 10 swipes may take you 15. That isn't much of a difference; only by 1/3. But, when we are out for 15 hours plowing snow, I would have to pay you for another 5 hours because you will be out there that much longer cleaning up the same amount of snow.

Now, driveways and apartment complexes are entirely different. A smaller truck and blade could be beneficial. Getting between parked cars and zipping up and down driveways is easier with a more maneuverable vehicle.

12. JMR

JMR Senior Member

Nothing wrong with the S-10. No offense meant. I just believe they are not large enough(both blade capable and size wise) to do commercial snow removal. Might be ok for smaller commercial, but not for the bigger stuff. I'm sure great for residential work or smaller tight commercial. Ever try radius plowing Wal Mart + size lots with an S-10. I'm sure with the right properties you can make plenty per hour with an S-10 size truck.

Again I'm NOT trying to start a war. No flame suit needed.Use the right size tool for the job.

13. Plow Meister

JMR

Next time you are in Chicago or I am in Omaha, we need to get together and go bowling:drinkup: We will bring S-10 plower too.

14. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation Senior Member

We pay subs 55.00 per hour , old truck or new truck , any truck with a blade 6 ft to 8 ft. I send little trucks to small lots first. Full size to the bigger lots . I dont care if its 2 wd or 4wd as long as the job gets done and done right.

15. JMR

JMR Senior Member

Re: JMR

I'll take you up on that. Bowling is an excuse for my drinking and drinking is an excuse for my bowling.:drinkup:

mdirrigation: You're absolutely right. I think we are all saying you can make good money with any size equipment as long as you don't bite off more than you can chew. No the limitations of what you are working with. Over working a truck may make you some big $$$ in the short run, but I think over the long haul breakdowns & increase repair costs will eat up the $$$.

16. Stan

Stan Senior Member

Personally I'm making $50. p/hour. This year I just put a 7.5 on my K-Blazer and still have the CJ with the 6.5. I sub at condo's, apartments and some parking lots as well with my own accounts.
    At times I sure wish I was driving the CJ! The "smaller" trucks as s-10 are well worth their $ especially in tight places and at times can do it alot faster -vs- a full size pickup in my opinion.

Next question; whats the average pay per hour with a driver in YOUR truck? I currently pay $20. per hour for the driver in the CJ. BIG plus with this driver, mechanic "on board"! Prevents me from stopping what I am doing in the event of the inevitable.

17. Plow Meister

$15 - $20 per hour. Depends on experience.

18. JMR

JMR Senior Member

Experienced driver, my truck $20-25 per hour plus meals.

19. rewoodworking

rewoodworking Senior Member

OK i was in the deli the day of storm and a guy saw my plow and he asked me how much he was a local so i said 20.00 boy was he pissed off and said how long can it take you to drive up my drive maybe 15 min with driving i tried to give reason and he just wouldn't here it

all i could say was so shovel it if you don't like it what else can you say right:confused:

20. Boutallnite

Boutallnite Senior Member

I have a TJ and I work for $50 an hour. I do 20 - 50 car lots on it and driveways. And it is great! Sometimes I wish I had a big pickup to get done faster and sometimes I don't.

rewoodworking, I know what you mean. The other day I was driving around and saw these 2 oder ladies shoveling the walkway and they had a small driveway. So offered to do it $20 and they said it was too much. It proabaly took them 2 hours to dig that drive out. People can be so cheap sometimes.