1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How much of a drop is acceptable?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Mowey9, Oct 17, 2004.

1. Mowey9

Mowey9 Member
    from Iowa

I was wondering how much of a drop is acceptable for most people. I have a 97 Dodge 1500 with a 8' straight blade Hiniker on it. I measured it up the other day and the difference between the plow on and fully up and the plow off is 1 3/4 inches. My dad tells me that thats good but I was just looking for some input for some pros.
    Aaron

2. Iowa

Iowa Senior Member
    from Iowa

Hey! Another Iowan! Where are you from?

I think the o.k range seems to be 2" tops?

3. Dave1250

Dave1250 Member

I would think that would be to low . I`m not shore, but did you put anything to help the front end with the weight ? I think any bumps in the road might bottom the plow out and jump it high in the air maybe unhooking your lift chain , Just my 2 cents . By the way mine has done it before.

4. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I would say a drop that large is to much. I have a 3500 Dodge and I am going to put Timbrens in this year just for the extra help. Think how much you have invested and how much one little thing costs to fix and then go and price the Timbrens(around 150 I think) thats cheap for a little piece of mind a 3 in the morning.

5. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Big Nate can get you a set of timbrens. Cheap. :nod:

6. grotecguy

grotecguy Senior Member

I think you will be fine. Anything less than 2 inches is good. When you add some ballast in the box it will probably be closer to 1 inch. Timbrens really make a difference on a 1/2 ton.
    My old 1/2 ton Dodge with a heavy old Western only drops 3/4 inch with Timbrens.
    Just be sure you're not going to get hung up on a parking curb.
    Let me know if you need anything, I'm in DSM every day.
    Mark K

7. Mowey9

Mowey9 Member
    from Iowa

I do have 2500 series springs on the front of my truck. With the plow on I still have 5 1/2 inches of clearance from the top of my tire to the bottom of the outside of the fender. I thought about getting timbrens and had planned on doing that. What I am trying to figure out is how much your guys' trucks drop when you put your plows on. I have heard that when you put timbrens on the front it makes it ride like you have square tires if you hit alot of bums? Any comments on this.

IOWA: I'm located in Des Moines.
    Dave1250: I don't have a lift chain, I have a Hiniker.
    The Boss: Thanks for the thoughts. I have seen that Big Nate sells them and I might be going to the cookout so I might just have him bring them there.

Aaron

8. richardlewis

richardlewis Member

I put timbrens on my 2004 chevy half ton and it rides the same and my truck only drops a 3/4's of a inch

9. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I've seen some people use timbrens in the winter and then take them off in the off seasons.

10. Duplantisjj

Duplantisjj Senior Member

Timbrens will save you an inch

I had my plow on a few days ago w/o Timbrens and it dropped about an inch and a half lower when I raised the plow...I have an 02 Chevy and they sit low from the start. I put in Timbrens (took about a half hour) and now it drops about a half inch when I lift the plow. The ride is a little firm w/o the plow but normal with the plow. For $150,,,,money well spent :salute: