1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How much of a difference...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Brian Young, Sep 28, 2006.

1. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

This kinda goes with my other post, I am looking to buy a 3/4 ton pick up (haven't decided on any yet) but I was plowing with a 94 heavy half ton with a 7.5' Myers with Pro wings. My question is I guess, how much "easier" is it going to be to plow with a 3/4ton vs. a heavy half ton.
  2. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

First off the truck should weigh a little more. It will handle the load of a plow better. I will probably have better gearing. You probably won't be on the gas as hard. Your biggest benefit will be a truck built heavier which will take the abuse better. Notice I said abuse. No matter how gentle you are on a plow truck they take abuse and this will still be hard on the truck.
  3. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

The parts just hold up so much better on a 3/4 ton or 1 ton.
    It's not so much as it plows better, it just does not need repairs and parts near as much!
    My 3/4 has really not broken anything that kept it out of service long. The 1/2 ton I ran broke front axles shafts X 2, U joints X 4, transmission parts x2 ( flex plates ), 1 transmission mount before flex plates. It also chewed through brakes and front wheel bearings / seals and a locking hub. The 3/4 laughs at snow and keeps going strong after 150K miles and 17 years.