1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How much more an hour for adding wings?

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by cmo18, Jan 22, 2010.

1. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

Just curious to see how much more an hour you guys charge for adding wings? I did a search and didn't find to much....CMO
  2. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

I tried for $15 an hour more but we settled on an extra $10.

I would have done it for nothing extra because I ended up with a few of my buddies accounts when he decided he was done plowing after the first few storms. I need the wings so that I am not pushing for 24 hrs straight.
  3. BillyRgn

BillyRgn Senior Member

What do you mean? An hour, are you a sub?
  4. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

I got a $10/hr raise for adding wings.
  5. ff610

ff610 Senior Member

Simply decide what you would charge for a larger plow. Its just like charging for a 9' plow when you have a 7'6" or 8' with wings. I typically pay $5-$10 an hour for a larger plow. You really have to take experience in consideration if you are a sub. With that said, I can get some jobs done much faster and cleaner with a smaller plow then some folks can do with a larger one. Experience is what I pay for over plow size. Wings simply make it easier to control the snow.
  6. BillyRgn

BillyRgn Senior Member

I never payed subs by the hour, I always gave them x amount of dollars per location . I found when you pay guys by the hour they tend to take forever and get "lost" in between jobs. That way they had a reason to be efficient, the more efficient that they are the more work they end up with. That way I do not owe someone money for 20 hours when anyone else would have done it in 10. I hope I didn't offend anyone, I know this might not work for everyone, but this is what works best for me, I know what I am going to spend and therefore it is harder for me to lose money.
  7. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

I agree, that experience is a huge factor. I'm trying to sell the idea to my current contracts that are by the hour. Also I have a huge lead for next year on yearly contracts that the wings will benefit greatly. In my area, not too many people are running wings, more of them are running box ends.