1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

how much money have you made this season?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Underdog1, Mar 1, 2005.

1. Underdog1

Underdog1 Junior Member

i hope you guys dont mind me asking but im new to this and wondering what i could expect to make once i really get things going. how many residential/commercial jobs do you have and how much have you made from this year? i know the guys new me in massachusetts have making a killing this year. this is the 6th snowiest winter in recorded history.

2. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation Senior Member

I am lighting cigars with Ben Franklins .

3. Buckeye Chuck

Buckeye Chuck Senior Member

I have plowed once in the past 6 weeks, up here in the snow belt, don't ask.

4. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

not enough

5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

This is my fifth winter plowing. Keep growing each year. So far this year I'm at 300% of my previous best year's total (two winters ago). This snowfall took me seven hours and went well with no problems, like getting stuck or breakdowns. I try for $125/hr.

6. IndySnowPlow

IndySnowPlow Senior Member
    from Indiana

$XXX,XXX.00

Do you really think people will tell you ?

Down 25% from last year.

7. Bldrs83

Bldrs83 Member

Really Indy Snow Plow? I plow in the Fishers/Noblesville area, and all of us have doubled if not tripled what we made last year. I only remember going out two good times last season and there for a while, we were going out every weekend in January this season after the December 22-23 storm.

8. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

I don't do drives or any residential. So I guess if you take 3 to the power of 4 multiply by 5 subtract truck costs(gas/wear/insurance/lawyer) and new a-frame for plow. Then you have the wife and her cut oh and don't forget Uncle Sam so there is 20%. Then there was shocks/brakes/timbrens/muffler/strobes/tune up/trans flush/radiator flush. Then my son has his hand out for new shoes and whatnot. Oh and then I bought a spreader,Western 1000, a few weeks ago as well.

So after I look at it I think I got a buck two ninety-eight in my pocket and a wooden nickel.

9. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

12 gizillian more than ever based on 0

10. Peopleeater

Peopleeater Senior Member

Money

I've spent more than I made! OK, not quite, but is starting to feel like it.

Jeff

11. snowgm

snowgm Member
    from MI

I've got to say, I used to think snow plowing would be a good way to make some money (like a lot of part-timers), but after seeing the weather this year, I don't know if I would be able to make a profit (and have decent equipment). In the last 2 months there have been maybe 3 events in my area - a lot of slush and sleet, not much snow.

Do a lot of landscapers not even bother and just sit the winter out? It seems like you could plow on cheap for maybe one season until the transmission goes, and then its not so cheap anymore. Lots of hidden costs...

12. motorider000

motorider000 Senior Member

Not much. I haven't figured out how to plow rain.

13. salopez

salopez Senior Member

I have been able to pay off my new plow this year, hopefully with one more snowfall to go.

14. PDQ Pete

PDQ Pete Senior Member

I lost my azz :rolleyes: thats what most contractors say when you ask them about a job they did :)

15. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

More then 5 times what I made last year. Enough to pay off a brand new plow. Average storm gets me $1,200 for 37 driveways. Larger storms, its more money. Today about $1,600 from my regulars. Then there was 5 vacant properties that I plowed for my fathers Real Estate company at $35 each. Plus 4 flagdowns today, one I did for free because she has helped me out with things before, 3 I carged $30. Subbed for a landscaping company for three hours at $65/hr after I finished my route. Total for this event was about $2,060. Subtract gas, subtract what goes towards insurence and taxes etc. and its obviousley less. A few storms I have made less money then this storm alot were about the same and two were 3 times as much as what I made today. I don't know what I have made overall, have not added it up. More then enough to get me by at my age. I run things legit for the most part so I do pay tax, insurence, etc. so it all adds up. Still a good chunk of change and plowing has been very lucrative this winter. If t can stay like this until the end of march, Ill be happy.

16. shaughnessylawn

shaughnessylawn Junior Member

you really get 125$$$$$hr

17. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

I think I better pack my bags for your neighborhood! :eek:

18. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

I am doing very well this year. If I am lucky I will be debt free come spring, just in time to build new debt!!! :D

19. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Chris how do you get commercial auto/truck insurance as a minor? Just wondering what the freekin price would be ??? Hell I cannot allow anyone under 25 drive my buisness trucks. I know when I was just a young gun (20 plus years ago) my auto ( not commercial ) was over a grand for a beater limited liability only. I would not think commercial auto insurance would even be available let alone affordable.
    Todd

20. CTPlow

CTPlow Member

Hey Chris, I bet this winter, besides the money, has been extra special with our beloved Sox finally winning a World Series!
    I bet it feels alot better now going through those long Boston winters. :)