1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How much money did you make?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by westernmdlawn, Dec 7, 2003.

1. westernmdlawn

westernmdlawn Member

Ok - so now everyone in the northeast probably has gotten to do some plowing. My question for all of you is how much money did you make for one storm, over the period of 1 or 2 days max. I'm a little down on things right now and am looking for some inspiration. Hope this question does not offend anyone, if so I apologize in advance. For those who don't mind sharing their numbers, I appreciate your help.
    This storm was my first time plowing ever, and unfortunantly, my truck is in the shop so it was useless for this storm. I had to use my 4 wheeler with a 4.5' plow. It worked well, but was slower and I had to be out in the elements exposed the whole time, which was not much fun. I made $300 in about 5.5 hours total. I'm trying to get a feel for what the potential is in my area with a truck and a plow, instead of an ATV. My plow is an 8' Fisher on an F250 351ci Auto.
    Thanks Everyone!!!
  2. roblandscape

roblandscape Senior Member
    from Phila

1450 10hrs, but I blew my trans. on the last driveway so I really made 0, but I will have a fresh trans.
  3. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

I guess I made like $550 doing a lot for a gym, and $70 from a guy's driveway, that's it. I did a few friend's driveways and stuff, the rest of the time I was busy fixing the damn thing.... U-Joint, alternator, battery, lights, trip springs, fuel line, bunch more. Definitely spent more fixing this thing up in the past few weeks than I've made with it so far.

4. CPSS

CPSS Senior Member

It's hard to really say. A lot of us have customers that are seasonal priced contracts. It would be better if it didn't snow at all!
  5. BigDawg

BigDawg Member

I raked in about $1800.00. I sub at an airport and do a few gas stations and about 10 drive ways and of course the road side flaggers who flag you down to do there driveway. No equipment damage to report either, which is a good thing. That means next storm 2 things have to break to make up for it.
  6. kipcom

kipcom Senior Member
    from Indiana

Most of the plowers are still counting therepayup and are buried under 24" of snow....
  7. Bossplower

Bossplower Member

One truck 10 hrs. Friday $2000 12hrs. Sat. $2000 .
    Two good days solenoid on new 9'' Boss V got stuck almost burned up the motor took 2 hrs. to cool down before it would work again. Thank God it's under warrenty.
    ps. we got 8" on Fri. and 6" on Sat. heavy snows

8. ronsracing

ronsracing Member
    from CT

It depends on your definition of made. First few storms break even covering truck cost.. like insurance and maintence.
    I do arround 20 -25 driveway (loose track in the middle), I have 18 steady customers. I normally bill out about $500.00 plus what you pickup with people flagging you down.
  9. edshipp19

edshipp19 Senior Member

Had a nice little saturday. 10 hrs one truck $2300 Didn't even do my 3 biggest accounts Went to all three sites with Mgt company rep and we decided together they didn't need to be done except sidewalks that were in the shade. Those three would have been another $1200
  10. westernmdlawn

westernmdlawn Member

Wow guys, those are some impressive numbers! Thats the inspiration I'm looking for! I need to get my butt out there and sell some more contracts this season. Think I'm gonna run an ad in the local paper today and pass out some flyers in key locations. Now, if only I can get my dang truck out of the shop and my plow on!:realmad:
  11. Erlee

Erlee Junior Member

I believe anyone in a metro area or its suburbs should have averaged at least $55.00-$60.00 per hour (not incl. o.e.) regardless of whether plow jobs were residential or commercial!
  12. edshipp19

edshipp19 Senior Member

Just got back from a call to a McDonalds to try and fight 10 inches of snow that was never plowed needless to say it was all ice . I dumped about a yd of salt on it and was able to scrape it up a bit. Anyways the point of this post is they want to sign someone to plow it for the rest of the winter. It is just to far away for me and i really can't take any more accounts. It is located in Colombia MD at the intersection of Rt100 and Snowdens River Parkway. I would think you could get around $200 a push for it and im not sure on salt. If anyone is interested in taking it on give my cell a call and ill hook you up with the the corporate hancho in charge. (Just to warn you she is an idiot)
    Cell# 202-297-5938

Oh yeah i think she in charge of some others that don't have contracts yet either it could be some good business for someone
  13. jonw440

jonw440 Senior Member

$305. Driveways only.
  14. jsaunders

jsaunders Senior Member

25 hrs total including taking off the leaf box from the dump and putting the plows on the trucks- 4,100
    I get to HATE plowing at times then I look at what I average per hour:p Joel
    ps- we got 15-24 inchs
  15. PlowKid150

PlowKid150 Senior Member

I do all residential driveways. Friday i was stuck on a damn plane trying to get back to philly from pittsburgh, so between friday night around 7 and sunday night around 9 i made a total of about 3000 with just my truck plowing, and my brother and i shoveling the remaining areas where the plow dosnt reach. Not bad for a couple days of work.
  16. westernmdlawn

westernmdlawn Member

PlowKid150: 3000 for the weekend with just one truck? Wow, you did pretty good I'd say. Did you do a bunch of different accounts one time over the weekend, or the same x number of accounts repeatedly? If so, how many accounts did you service, and how many times each?
  17. paponte

paponte Senior Member

Did about $3K for 45 hrs. God it feels good to finally have gotten some sleep. :bluebounc
  18. ford250LDMaster

ford250LDMaster Member

20 hours worth of work 2800.at one point i made 412.00 in 45 minutes lol
  19. North Country

North Country Senior Member

We made some good coin! We won't know specifics until we P&L the storm but not without some mishaps (liabilities) anyone own a little green chevette? Check out the partial list! westernmdlawn Everyone is different it depends on how you run your biz, what is your customer base and demgraphic - Try to shoot for $150- $200 gross per hour per truck (Pickup) - You will cover Overhead, Direct Operating Expenses, Labor and still have a reasonable amount of $ going to the bottom.
  20. litle green guy

litle green guy Senior Member

I did $3300. Thats with one truck subbing on some parking lots and my other doing driveways, some commercial stuff and some subbing stuff. I think one of my trucks had about 20hrs and the other had about 30.