1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

how much Magic Salt is necessary?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by sir spaniourd, Oct 11, 2005.

1. sir spaniourd

sir spaniourd Senior Member

under ideal conditions would 50lbs of magic salt cover 10,000 sf? This will be my first year providing de-icing services.
    sir spaniourd.
  2. pbeering

pbeering Senior Member

Deicing depends on a whole lot of variables. Air temp, pavement temp, surface composition, sunlight, precipitation moisture content, what you are deicing (road, driveway, lot, sidewalk), whether there is a residual built up, how you are spreading the deicing agent, whether you pre-treated ( a very good idea), and on and on.

Most experiment to see what is needed under various conditions. Generally speaking, you'll use less Magic than white salt, but this is a generalization.

Until you get the hang of it, estimate your use on the high side. Keep lots on hand, because you'll use more than you think. The good news about deicing agents is that they don't spoil so long as they are kept dry.
  3. sir spaniourd

Then a 50lb bag of magic salt should be enough for an average 4 car garage per snow event???
    I know I will have different results depending of the temperature, moisture, etc.. But if there is the right condition for salting what would be the recommended application?
    Thanks again
  4. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

50 lbs will be more than enough for a 4 car driveway.
  5. sir spaniourd

Thanks for the info