1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

how much juice?

Discussion in 'Import and Other Trucks (Light Duty)' started by MJay, Dec 14, 2005.

1. MJay

MJay Member

Defrost on my 1990 V6 toy doesn't keep the window clear. Bought a plug in (cigarette lighter) car heater/blower to help and i'm wondering with the plow [western 6.5ft] + extra lights if i'm overloading the alternator. Have Optima red. Also thinking of buying heat/massage cushion, any thoughts for this wus who likes to keep warm and cosy.
    P.S. Radiators full, any other reasons I wouldn't get plenty of heat?
  2. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

What is your temperature guage reading???

How warm is the air coming out of the ducts??

It could be your thermostat...plugged heater core....
  3. MJay

MJay Member

temp gauge reads: middle
    air out of ducts: luke warm
    ? thermostats ? will check
    ? heater core ? will check
  4. Averysdad

Averysdad Member

have you checked to make sure the temp selector moves the vavle on the heater core all the way back and forth...

pop the hood and have a friend move the temp selector back and forth.....you'll see the valve on the heater core move (make sure it has full range of motion and isnt broken or has come apart.....mine got unhooked once and my heat didnt work because of it)

if thats fine you might have a blocked heater core.......thermostat is probably fine since youre gauge is right where it should be.
  5. Ken1zk

Ken1zk Senior Member

Just a couple more things I have come across with this problem in the past. Is the fan pushing out good air flow? I would also look for leaves and other debris blocking the air intake into the heater core box. Goos luck and let us know what you find.
  6. MJay

MJay Member

:) Many thanks for replies, checked everything mentioned. Last thing was blower motor, this truck just came to me recent and had been sitting outside on a farm. Took the blower motor out (passenger side, tight spot to work underneath the dash). Found a nest some critter had made, (we all have to live somewhere) it was blocking the fins. Heat works great now.
    Again many thanks for the pointers.
    Let it snow, let it snow.