1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How much is too much for a new Tornado?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Playboy, Aug 2, 2007.

1. Playboy

Playboy Senior Member

I'm looking around for prices and found a new Western dealer that qouted me $3600 for the Tornado. Is this a good price? I'm in CT and will have to drive to NJ (2hours) to get it. I figure it will be around $100 in fuel and tolls.

2. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Are you sure you want a Tormado. After all the horror stories I read on hear they would scare me. I look at a salter as long term, more then 5 years. Some of these did not make it past the first year. Maybe a pro flow 2? Just my thoughts.

I would drive 2 hours if it is a good price. I went 8 hours 1 way for 3 plows, saved $8,000.

3. Playboy

Playboy Senior Member

Western fixed all the bugs they had with the Tornado. I looked at the specs and I really like what the Tornado has to offer. I was looking at the Salt Dog as well but the Red matches my plow. :redbounce

I'm considering the Pro Flo 2. I got a qoute of $2500 brand new. I just have a feeling i'm gonna out grow it fast. I might in the near future get a Jeep Wrangler with 7' western so I might still get the Pro Flo 2 and use it for the Jeep when I go that road.

4. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Are you sure all the bugs are out of the Tornado, or is this just coming from Westerns camp ?
    I purchased a new Salt Dogg last season based on all excellent reviews, droped at my door step last Feb. for 3K from Angelos. It has the Karrier controller included in that price. Every thing you need to start useing it is included, and it didnt need any repairs out of the box.
    Ran about 30 ton threw it, zero problems.

Playboy,
    The Pro Flow 2 will not work on a jeep. You need to hang a small Snow Ex 575 or something in that size range.

5. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

Playboy, check your PM I found something for you. Rich

6. Playboy

Playboy Senior Member

Does the Salt Dog install like the Tornado? I'm usually by myself and need one to flip on it's back. I'm thinking of making a hoist to hoist a sander in/out of my truck but that's just an idea right now. $3K seems like a good price. Did you buy it online?

7. Playboy

Playboy Senior Member

Called him. It's off of a Ford. I'm stuck again having to buy the $600+ truck side mount. It still brings me close to half the cost of new though.... I'm gonna go see it today or tomorrow.
    Thanks for looking!

8. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

Playboy, what year Ford is it off of? I didnt even know it was off a Ford. Let me know if you dont buy it i might. Good luck anyway.

9. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

The Dogg weighs about 500#s. I can load it in about 15 minutes by myself with my engine hoist.
    2 guys can load the Salt Dogg in minutes. By myself I pick up the front, back truck under it. Disconnect chain, and hook up to back of spreader. Lift spreader and slide it right in.
    I should add the spinner disconnects from the v-box so you can still tow something with the v box in.
    The spreader was purchased new on e-bay. It is a 2 yard model. Buy it now was like 2785.00 They shiped it from north of Detroit to NE IL for 125.00 bucks.
    As far as cost I would of paid the extra 750 to buy it local if I would have needed too. That also included tax, no tax from MI.
    I can not tell you how awesome the spreader worked for me. I did tarp (awesome custom tarp included in purchase) every load so I had no jamming issues period. The spread pattern was great, and it threw dripping wet salt like a champ.
    I'm not sugar coating anything here, just telling you guys what worked for me. IMO
    I wouldnt think of buying a Tornado if I were you. Do a search on here and try to find someone who had zero problems with one. Personally I love these sites as you can find "real" testimonies to real world useage of snow equipment. If you buy the Red one or Yellow one and it turns into a nightmare you have no one to blame but yourself, the real world users of those products had serious issues.
    Good luck