1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How much is to much?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by beb, Nov 29, 2007.

1. beb

beb Junior Member

I have a 98 Dodge ram 1500 with a 7'6" unimount and front end levelers installed. Is there a rule of thumb as to how much weight to put in the bed behind the rear axle? I don't want to much because with the plow off, Headlights shine up and carring that weight is wasting gas. To little and no traction or counter weight for plow is not enough. Any guys(or Gals) find a good weight to run with? Thanks BB
  2. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

honestly getting stuck or slidding into someone is worse than saving pennies worried about weight and mph. when hanging a plow out front your lights are into the ground not the sky. Start with 700lbs and go up if needed. I run about 1000lbs (more when i start less when i'm done -because i salt also) but my plow is heavier also than yours.
  3. UglyTruck

UglyTruck Senior Member

1000 pound out front = 1000 pounds out back...this seems like a fairly simple math problem to me.

I carry roughly 1000 pounds of plow countered by :
    full pallet of Icemelt (49 bags @ 50# ea. that are usually gone by the end of the night)
    800 pounds of lead bricks.(I load & unload them before & after every event)
    1 craftsman 2 stage blower & ramps @ about 200 lb
    1 walk behind spreader @ about 25 lb

all loaded on a Ram 3/4 ton ext cab diesel
    a grand total of awesome traction and easy pushin.

Yeah, I know I run heavy, but I dont slip and I can tell a huge difference from runnin light.

as far as the MPG....get off you A$$ and uload the ballast when you unhook the plow. then it's of no concern.

4. UglyTruck

UglyTruck Senior Member

I just re-read my post and I think that I sound a little prickish..

sorry bout that..

Im not trying to be a jerk but I have honestly found that the same amount of weight out back(or more) makes for much easier & much more efficent pushing. and truthfully, for no longer than the plow is on, the mileage should not be an issue...and for tha sake of your truck, especially a 1/2 ton .you need to unload the ballast. it needs to be a counter weight, not your normal winter traction weight.
  5. beb

beb Junior Member

Thanks for your input. It gives me an idea of where to start. And you didn't sound TO prickish! Just asking some questions, thats all.