1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How much is this Boss worth?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by THEGOLDPRO, Jan 8, 2012.

1. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

I stumbled upon an older boss rt2 v-plow the other day sitting in the back lot of boss dealer, It was on one of their older lot trucks so it never plowed commercially just plowed the lot it was on. Its actually in pretty good shape no rust no missing paint,no dents/bends.The guy said he would sell it to me for cheap because its doing them no good just sitting back there. Its an 8'2 and this is a pic of one that looks exactually like it. i didnt get a chance to snap a pic of the actual plow as it was getting dark.

My question is what are these plows worth, and are they good plows?
    [​IMG]

2. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

Will it still hook up to an rt3? just check on that if your other plows are rt3

and $1000 I would say. I wouldn't go much more than that

3. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

I already answered over at the lets plow forum, but I'll tell ya again. The RT2 is a good plow, doesnt go on/off as nice as the RT3, but it works the same when it's on. If you don't care that it won't interchange with future plows you may buy, then it could be worth up to $2k if it's in good condition and it has mounts/wiring to fit your truck.

4. THEGOLDPRO

Yea i would put it on my blue dodge to replace my curtis, I know it wont mount up on my other 2 boss plow mounts but im not too worried about it. The guy told me he could mount it for under 2k on the truck and they have the ounts and wiring in stock.

5. elecblu

elecblu Member

I would probably go for that deal, IF the truck side wiring is the 13 pin and all you had to do at a later date to put a newer plow on, would be to change the push bar on the mounting bracket. I am not a boss expert, but you might have to update the plow side wire harness to accomplish this.

6. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

i'm a big fan of being able to swap plows around from truck to truck in an emergency, it took me a few years to get back to it, but I finally have 3 boss vxt's RT3's and a 8' straight blade backup. i can put any plow on any truck. I can even use the straight blade with the V controllers. If it were me I'd pass and get something you can swap around if necessary.

7. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

I agree, you already have a truck with an RT3 setup so it's best to keep it that way. If you have a truck that breaks down some where and you need to leave the plow behind, it would be nice to be able to go and get it with the other truck.

8. THEGOLDPRO

Yea i know what you guys mean. But i never really intended to put a newer boss on the blue dodge, it has always had the Curtis on it, And althoe i don't need to replace the Curtis as it works just fine, I figured if the price is right and i can get the entire thing for $1500 or less installed i might as well just swap over to this v-plow. Then down the road sell the Curtis for $1kish and basically break even and end up with a V-plow.

9. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

After you replace that Curtis with the Boss you can replace the Dodge with a Ford!

10. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Tell your mom to look for an RT3.

11. G.Landscape

G.Landscape Senior Member
    from Ontario

We have one and the RT2 is a real pain to hook up and even take off sometimes. Don't plan on taking it off between storms it will drive you nuts.

Other then that I think its a great plow, never really had any issues with it. Check it over but it its at a Boss dealer its probably in good working condition.

12. Mr. Mud

Mr. Mud Member

I have to disagree with some of the comments about the ease of mounting and dismounting the old RT-2's. I ran my old plow for years, 18 I think. I removed the kick stand immediately because of the lack of functionality. I would drive up to a standard 42"x48" pallet, slide 2- 2x4's under the hook point at the truck, drop the plow, throw the lever down, back up and unhook cables. 2-3 minutes tops. I fought the damn thing trying to unhook with the silly 2 legged stand a couple times and then I came up with the pallet and 2x4 thing. I could always throw the pallet jack under it and move it in the shop during the other months if I had to with out hooking. MUD

13. Yooper75

Yooper75 Senior Member

In that shape, I have seen them go for $2,000+ the guys like them up here because they stack 6-8" higher than the RT3 that replaced it. Does your dealer stock the truck side mount? I found a RT2 V here that's in similar shape with the updated wrap around cutting edges cheap but I have not been able to find a truck side for it yet.

14. THEGOLDPRO

Yea my dealer said he has the mounts and wiring in stock and can install it for under 2k out the door.

15. Yooper75

Yooper75 Senior Member

That's a good deal for that plow for under 2k mounted out the door.

16. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

If under 2K it would be probably be worth it, or better yet you could install the plow yourself and save more payup.

Boss plows are often a simple install.

17. Mr. Mud

Mr. Mud Member

But didn't he say he was going to put it on a dodge? lol. Just kidding, MUD

18. tugboat609

tugboat609 Member

Defending the Dodge! I had a 99 2500 with a cummins last year with an 8ft Curtis and that truck was an animal in the snow! I pulled two Fords out of the snow bank with it to boot! Sold it and bought a 2002 Ford 7.3 with an 8ft poly Boss. Only reason was it was an incredible deal and the Dodge was rotting apart on me. Great truck though overall!

19. Mr. Mud

Mr. Mud Member

I just ment the install time on the Dodge, nothing to do with the power, as I know that the dodge cummins will eat the rest. MUD

20. Plow man Foster

Plow man Foster PlowSite.com Addict

I have put my old 8' boss RT2 on MANY different trucks. Its okay because with all of my installs i take it to a local dealer and have them put a new under carriage on the truck and run the wires... No biggy.
    The RT2 plows usually end up staying on the trucks longer than the RT3's..... lol they are a PITA to put on ESPECIALLY ALONE