1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How much in a bag

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by sven1277, Jan 9, 2009.

1. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

Anyone ever counted how many cups are in a 50lb bag of icemelt? I put baffles on my walkbehind spreaders (4' wide spread pattern now) and I want to calibrate them. Thanks.

2. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

I don't know how many cups, but I would like to see the baffles you put on your spreaders if poss.

3. leon

leon Senior Member

icemelt etc.etc....

Screened to thirty mesh rock salt is 94 pounds per cubic foot so you can go from there; a dry measure cup is a different animal due to the product not being uniform unless you are using calcium chloride flakes etc.etc.....

A walk behind spreader is a chore simply as it will work sometimes and not other simply due to the product not being uniform and bridging and plugging even when dry.

If you were to use a dry weight cup measure it would be 100 cups but as I stated above the problem is its not uniform unless calcium chloride flakes are used; the other problem is most spreaders are ment for fertilzer prills/bit that are scalp formed from scalping screens using a single grain of sand as a base for the fertiliser coating.

Sorry :^((

4. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

I'll try to get pics tomorrow, but all I did was cut down a rubber tailgate protector so it wrapped around the front and 2 sides and came down just below the spinner and bolted it directly to the hopper of the lesco spreaders. Simple, cheap and seems to work great.