1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How much hr. in SE, Pa

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Budget, Feb 12, 2007.

1. Budget

Budget Junior Member
    from Pa.

New to the plowsite forum, Hi everyone!
    Been reading this site for a while and got to say i pick up some good info here.
    I did get a offer yesterday from a landscaper for $50 a hour, now i used to plow for my pop some years ago and never had to work under the hourly rate. So is $50 a hour fair?

I have a Meyer 7.5 with a e60 pump about 3 years old. I know some do not like the Meyer but that all i ever used. In the past i have broken off jack mounts, springs and what not but i didn't break my truck. I hit some curbs and park stops and have done some damage to the blade. But that was all repaired and back out. (Pop owned a welding shop).

Thanks in advance.

2. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I don't know about your area, but I think $50 an hour with a 7.5' blade is fair, it is on the low end IMO, but is fair. I'd work for that.

3. GL&M

GL&M Senior Member
    from PA

$50.00 to $60.00 is probably about right depending on the area you live in. You can make more per hour if you go on your own but you may spend more also. Don't worry about the Meyer set up. I run the same system and had very few problems. Made me a lot of money over the years.

4. BOSS550

BOSS550 Senior Member

I've done some plowing in Berks, Chester, and Montco over the years and that's on the bottom end of the scale for that truck but it's fair IMO. Sometimes these outfits you can sub to lowball your hourly rate until they see how well you manage your plow and piles. They also want to make sure you are gonna show up for work when it snows!! As dumb as that sounds I actually had a sub last winter ask me if it was ok to leave in the middle of a storm on a Sunday afternoon to go get new snow tires on a F 250. :nod: :dizzy: :dizzy:
    If you're serious and make every effort to do a good,quick, clean job they'll give ya more

5. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping PlowSite.com Addict

Depends on what your willing to work for. Personally, I might work for that but I would try for $65-$80 an hour. I know a couple guys that don't work for less then $125 an hour and they still have no problem keeping a full tight route together! BTW, where ae you in PA?

6. You'd never get that here, but then again, location, location, location.

7. Budget

Budget Junior Member
    from Pa.

Thanks everyone for the info.

J&R, Right around the Pottstown area.

8. rfed32

rfed32 Senior Member

i dunno im from montco and we do some bucks then i drive to del. county and i get 70hr for del county....and 75hr bucks and mont county....i think 50 seems a little low

9. Zippy

Zippy Junior Member

I had an offer durring our 2/14 storm to sub for $45 an hour......I laughed it off......I don't think I could feed my 1 ton pushing a 9' plow for that let alone have anything left over for me.

Kevin

10. green frog

green frog Senior Member

I live in western new york about 1 hour north of erie and I took $30.00 an hour. I have a 7'2" western on a cherokee so my gas costs are lower than most. I get paid from when I leave my own route till I get home.

11. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping PlowSite.com Addict

Wow, I don't think I would ever go down to $30. an hour. Even though your gas cost might be less, doesn't mean you should settle for less. IMHO, you just hurt the surronding market and your competitors as well as yourself in the long run!

12. rayf268

rayf268 Senior Member

I plowed for $50 this last storm it was my first time doing large lots for people who didn't know me so next time i'll ask for more like $60 they were happy with the work I did and tried to get me the next day so I think it will fly . I know prices are lower here then most so I am ok with that and now having to collect is nice can't beat a check the same day ether .