1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How much grinding can a T-case take?????

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Jpocket, Sep 6, 2006.

1. Jpocket

Jpocket Senior Member

How much grinding can a transfer case take...I just bought a truck off of a buddy of mine, and he never figured out how to go from 4LO back to 2Hi without grinding the Sh*t out of the Transfer case. It works fine most of the time, but Im just a little worried about any irreversible damgae that is done.
  2. PowerWagon

PowerWagon Senior Member

My power wagon has the same T case...
    if it's stuck in 4LOW, be sure your truck is on flat ground (no hills) sometime rolling it a little slow 1/2 mph may get it out, or.. put truck in N then try the T case. (when doing that shut engine off)

it's that way on old trucks. I had my for 30 years.
  3. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

When ever I get out of 4-LO I always come to a complete stop put truck in neutral then shift. works like 90% of the time. Sometimes I have to roll the truck a bit to get the gears to line up. Basically I pop the truck in drive and back to neutral, and it will go.
  4. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

Well it will take grinding just up the the point that it breaks. As a wise old farmer told me once tighten it up to a 1/4 turn before it breaks and you'll be fine. Problem was when to stop...........

On the brighter side change the fluid and shift it the right way and you should be ok.
  5. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

was having that problem on my 06. Went to the dealer and they told me that you have to go very quick because of something, i forget. Never had a problem since, just ram it into which ever gear and it never grinds
  6. bobingardner

bobingardner Senior Member

My owner's manual said the same thing. Stop the truck, shift to neutral, put your foot on the break, and shift into or out of 4lo with a quick motion.