1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

how much fuel do you use???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ajslands, Dec 28, 2009.

?

how much fuel do you use?

1. 1 tank

48 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. 2 tanks

19 vote(s)
    26.4%
  3. 4 tanks

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  4. 3 tanks

2 vote(s)
    2.8%
  5. 5 tanks

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 7 tanks

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 6 tanks

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  8. i use more than 8 tanks of fuel

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  1. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

i just filled my tank up yeterday and salte and plowed today, about 1" 1/2 it finished the day with a quater tank. but was wondering what normal usage of fuel would be, like how much fuel you guys use for a single storm,

i have a f-250 turbo and get about 15 highway and 12 city, but i havent had a decent snowfall to calcuate my mpgs while plowing....

so how much fuel do you use for one storm

2. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

MPG doesn't really tell you anything for plowing.

How about GPH?

I use about 2 gallons an hour.

3. SuperdutyShane

SuperdutyShane PlowSite.com Addict

Or hours per tank.

4. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Doesn't tell you much since tank size varies.;)

5. SuperdutyShane

SuperdutyShane PlowSite.com Addict

Well thats true. But I look at it as hours per tank doing residentials, in just my neighborhood and a couple surrounding ones.

6. PowerWagon

PowerWagon Senior Member

with this OLD TRUCK. I would say TOO MCUH! :dizzy:

7. vamootsman

vamootsman Senior Member

13 hours of plowing, and a bunch of running around, and the truck idling while doing 3-4 hours of shoveling and blower work, 25 gallons.

8. overtime

overtime Senior Member

I used 13 gallons about. Plowed 2 times witrh that and drove around a bit

9. fatheadon1

fatheadon1 Senior Member

05 f250 diesel 24-30 hours on a 29 gal tank. i start it when i get called in and WILL not shut it off till im done, so some of that is idling

10. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

1 Ton Chevy gas about 2-2.5 gallons per hour
    Kubota Diesel about 3/4-1 gallon per hour

11. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict

10 hours of idle + 17 hours of plowing used 3/4 a tank gotta love the cummins

should add I drive to and from the site 80 miles round trip with the plow on

12. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

My bobcat s300 uses about 1.6gph our 09 6.4 ford uses about 3.5gph! We need to take that DPF off soon lol

13. jzeller4

jzeller4 Member
    from ohio

i went through 10 gal just to salt a lot today, its about 76 mile round trip. this s*** sucks.

14. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I havn't kept track in a while. I'd have to guess 2-2.5 gph for my truck.

15. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

this is a really silly thread !!!

my skidsteers use between 1.5-2 gph, my loader uses about 1gph

all these depend on how long they are left idling, how cold it is, how hard they are working, etc

16. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Average is about 3 gal per hour. Depends on how much salt I have in back. How cold it is. How heavy the snow is.

I reset the trip odometer when I get to the lot to see how many miles it takes to finish the lot on a full plow. It comes out to about 40 miles each plow for the lot(I cut it to 37.5 last time) and 16 miles round trip to house and back and it uses a half tank each full plow and salt. 35 gal tank.

17. tinffx

tinffx Member

Old gasser GMC uses about 2 GPH when the snow is deep and heavy. not much better when it is not. I guess I stay light on the throttle and run in 4low when its deep and heavy. Only really need some short stomps on the gas on occasion to stay efficient. I probably only get 8 MPG on the road around town loaded with salt and a plow.

18. linycctitan

linycctitan Senior Member

For the last storm (the big blizzard!ooooooo) I ran through about 72 gallons in 64 hours. Now that was plowing, traveling (not much), and towing the skidsteer (about 100 miles total). On average I'd say I use about 1 GPH in my truck, my old Ford though, she runs about 2 - 2.5 GPH while out pushing and salting.

19. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

I never even pay attention to it. I fill it before the storm and i add more when it gets around half.. I just filled it from the gas light sunday and it took $138 to fill it up @ 2.85 a gallon.

20. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

You must not be WFO. :D

I figure right about 2 GPH on the head at wide open, although I run at 1/2 throttle or so when in fuel conservation mode with the light on.