1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How much frontend drop is okay?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by dzrick, Oct 1, 2007.

1. dzrick

dzrick Senior Member

Well. I finally got the plow on my truck and have a few questions.

Some of you may remember my questions about using my brothers old MM1 off his rusted hulk of an 88 Ford on my 88 Chevy.

After a rocky start things have gone a little better than I thought they would.

Now my questions.

1st off not knowing what fluid was originally used and needing to top it off, what should I use?

2nd, when I lift the plow the frontend drops pretty good but the truck rides well and everything seems okay, but how much drop is too much?

This truck alway had the stance of an old school musclecar, ass end higher than the rear. I don't know why it's just the way it was when I bought it

As far as the lights go is there any reason I can't cut a switch in, wired back into the cab to toogle between the low beams and the plow lights?

Thanks again gents

2. dzrick

dzrick Senior Member

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

After doing a plow install on any truck, I try to get them under an 1 1/2" or less of drop if I can.

4. dzrick

dzrick Senior Member

Thank-you:D

I'll check this old beast tomorrow.

[​IMG]

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

What color is the fluid that's left in it?
    If it's red then it's probably ATF.
    If it's clear then it's either hydraulic fluid or power steering fluid.
    If it's blue them it's probably low temp plow fluid.

Normal for a truck, but that's the easy part about the IFS GM's, simply adjusting the front torsion bars will bring up the front to help level the truck out. Judging by the pics you posted though, it look's pretty good for a 1/2 ton with a Fisher.
    Sure you can. Just use a DPST 6 terminal toggle switch from you local auto parts store and wire it in.

Thanks again gents[/QUOTE]

6. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Add some weight behind the wheel wells start with about #400-#500lb
    It will help to balance out your truck.

Then look into a set of timbrens for the front.

You may also want to drain your plow/fluid and replace it with fresh, use a hydraulic fluid not atf.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2007
  7. dzrick

dzrick Senior Member

My brother and I just measured and the frontend dipped exactly an inch and a quarter.

The Fisher paperwork I got with the pump mounting kit called for type "A" transmission fluid, we topped it off and everything works fine.

B&B,

Am I correct in thinking that 6 terminals is one set for the lights and the other two sets for the blinkers?

SnoFarmer,

I will be adding weight soon.

Thanks guys,
    Rick

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

An inch and a quarter ain't bad at all... you can still turn the TB's up some if you want to take some of the "rake" even when unloaded, out of the truck though...

Not quite Rick. On a 6 terminal DPST switch, you run the hi and low beam wire's from the dimmer switch to the 2 center terminals. Then you run the truck lights off the 2 terminals on one end of the switch (lows on one side, Hi's on the other) and the plow light's off the 2 remaining terminals on the other side of the switch. You don't need to run the blinkers through the switch, just tap them directly into the wiring under the hood. If you need help with wiring the switch and lights, just shoot me a pm and I'll help ya out...

Last edited: Oct 3, 2007
  9. dzrick

dzrick Senior Member