1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How much for this small strip mall

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by rhatala, Nov 2, 2011.

1. rhatala

rhatala Junior Member
    from NJ

This will be my first commercial plowing job so i was wondering if anyone could help with possible bids.

DSC02215.jpg

DSC02213.jpg

DSC02209.jpg

DSC02210.jpg

2. Plowman52

Plowman52 Senior Member
    from Flint

what are all the services they want... shoveling salt.... etc

also seasonal or per push?

3. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

An idea of size would be helpful, how many square feet?

4. DaveCN5

DaveCN5 Senior Member

By quick glance I'm guessing about 5,000 sq feet.

5. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

We can help

We have something that will help you as long as you measure the square footage. Check out our snow estimator package at www.profitsareus.com

This will take the guesswork out of your estimating process. Simple accurate and professional.

Snow & Ice Management Bidding Package Includes:
    #1 Snow & Ice Management Manual � this is a comprehensive manual covering all aspects of snow & ice management for both residential and commercial accounts. Also includes application rates for many different deicing materials.

#2 Snow & Ice Management CD full of over 20 templates for contracts, route sheets, hours of operation sheets, Who�s first, proposal formats, don�t take the risk template for clients, sample invoices, sample marketing forms and much more. All these templates are in Microsoft Word format and are completely customizable to your business.

#3 Snow & Ice Management Quick Estimator CD � calculates per push, per event, hourly or season contracts. Also calculates material application rates for both granular and liquid applications for any deicing material that you may be using. This CD also calculates time and material for application of material, and hand labor as well. This CD runs in Microsoft Excel and is not software. You simply fill in the blanks and you have your estimate.

Go to www.profitsareus.com or call us at 800-845-0499 to order. Feel free to call us with any questions you might have as well. Being a full-service lawn & landscaping business myself since 1979, I know what a contractor is looking for; something simple, accurate and professional. This package is it.

6. rhatala

rhatala Junior Member
    from NJ

I will get the measurements tomorrow for you all and it will be estimated on a per push basis including all sidewalks and parking lot areas with salt. I should have got that area the first time. I wasn't thinking

7. rhatala

rhatala Junior Member
    from NJ

12,000 sqft is the area of this property any ideas on a bid

8. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

In my area (northern Colorado) that job would be around $125.00 per puch (2-4") , includes walks and salt.

9. snowguys

snowguys Senior Member

around here (chicago) same thing he said i would be at 175.00

10. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

I'm sure you guys know

You guys know what it takes for you to make a profit I am sure. However, I would not touch that lot for that kind of money and include walks and deicing material.

Where is the money for the value of the service you are offering all those stores to continue as normal during a snow or ice event? That's what I think we are really selling.

Seems a minimum for all those walks, ice melter for walks, ice melter for plowed areas, and plowing would be more than that. I realize all markets are different, but the one constant is slip and fall opportunities. I think sometimes we sell the value of the service we offer too cheap.

11. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

We clear the snow for 125$ and add salt extra maybe 150$ or so.
    +5000$ seasonal for sure salt inclusive.

12. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

You make some very valid points, the strongest being the market area and knowing your operating cost. A lot this size shouldn't take one guy more than 35 minutes to do complete when the lot is empty.
    I find it interesting to see the difference between Snoguys, CGM Inc's and my rate. But given the cost of living of the three areas we come from I'd have to think we're all in line for our areas we work.

13. coyote

coyote Member
    from montana

I dont live in Jersey but know the peice of services there. Double it.

14. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

In my area that would go for about 225-275 per push including shoveling, salting walks, and salting lot.

15. coyote

coyote Member
    from montana

and knowing how people are in your area dont forget about trucking it away. Tell them thats an add on price.

16. Ne1

Ne1 Senior Member

you really need to be directing that question to be in your area. i could tell you what that would go for around here but your area it would most likely be way off. jmo

17. Laszlo Almasi

Laszlo Almasi Senior Member

While that location looks simple enough, I'd make sure you will cover all of your expenses. $125 plus material? Not me. Now, $125 plus material plus ground crew might be a little different story. I myself could knock that lot out in 30 min tops provided the lot was completely empty. But your ground crew will be there longer taking care of the sidewalks. If cars are in the lot your time can easily double.

Don't sell yourself short or hurt the market for your services. I agree with Wayne in that many providers sell their service for much less than it is actually worth. Each year they will want it for a little less and less and then the next thing you know you are hardly covering yourself and not making enough profit to make it worth the work and effort.

I just turned down a local grocery store here in NC with 150 spaces, rear docks, sidewalks, 2 entrances, and equivalent of 3 lanes wrapping around the rear of the store. How much were they offering per push? $171 plus $80 for deicing material. I actually laughed when I read their proposal. I myself won't drop my plow on the ground for that much. I have much smaller locations (fast food locations) that I bill $125-150 per 2" push plus material if needed and I don't have to touch the sidewalks at all.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2011
  18. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

....how often do you have a completly empty lot?
    In a perfect world snow is done at 1.00am and we can plow and salt before open of business.
    We always figure a return trip per event to clean up full or tight spaces.

Most of our clients also want that service!

19. DodgeBlizzard

DodgeBlizzard Senior Member

Do you charge an additional fee for that return trip?

20. Laszlo Almasi

Laszlo Almasi Senior Member

How often? Depends on the time of day but if it is during the day....NEVER!! I actually had one guy last season that intentionally parked his work van right where I was getting ready to plow. He went around and parked in the direction I was pushing rather than wait until I made a couple more pases and park in the clear. You can only imagine how much snow was packed neatly around his van when he returned the next day. I made sure he was going to have to work to get his piece of crap out. :gunsfiring:

So, that being said...expect to have at least 2-3 cars in the way. And you will be surprised how much time those few vehicles will eat up.