1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How much for this lot?

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by KCB, Dec 20, 2008.

1. KCB

KCB Senior Member

No salt or shoveling. I want to say $400.+.a pop. But I dont know if thats too high or not high enough...

lot.jpg

2. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

400 sounds a bit high to me....

Im thinking with no salt or sidewalks 265 for 1-4 inches. Thats for my area though.

3. speedy

speedy Senior Member

$400 Canadian dollars pretty much equals $265 USD....

4. EvenCutLawnCare

EvenCutLawnCare Senior Member

Is it concrete or gravel?

5. KCB

KCB Senior Member

Its asphalt.

6. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

That looks like about an hour's work to plow.

$400 is MUCH too high.

7. MileHigh

Damn..

you must haul some arse.

8. KCB

KCB Senior Member

Ya I dont think an hour is going to do it... maybe, maybe on a couple inches of fluff.
    But I dont like to whiz around like there is no tomorrow.

9. jjmcnace

jjmcnace Member
    from Iowa

If it was me, but it's not. I always figure a pretty safe estimate on the time I think it would take me to plow a lot. Sure you may be able to do it in an hour, but not when there's 3-4" of snow. For a per push price I would figure 2 hrs @ $125/hr. That is real close to bladescape2's price. And it looks like there may be some plowing out back also. My price would be $250-280.

10. LoneCowboy

There is simply no way that lot takes more than an hour (1-6")
    If it's taking YOU more than an hour, someone is going to come around an underbid you seriously and you simply aren't going to get/keep the job.

Yes, I go pretty fast, but it's a time driven business, most productive person wins.

I took over a contract on a building that is probably bigger than that (easily holds more cars and has more backdragging) last year. The last guy was charging $385 per push.

I looked at it. i drove around, I looked around, I said, there's no way this takes more than an hour.

I said, how about $185, 1-6". (more for more snow, clearly)

They said, great, called the other guy and fired him on the spot.
    It takes me 40 to 50 minutes to do it.

I make good money and the guy before me makes nothing because he got greedy and lost that and 2 others, because it was simply a ridiculous price.

11. LoneCowboy

I was including the entire lot, back loading dock and all.

I count that lot holds about 50 cars (I count about 25 spaces/cars in the one that has cars and the other side looks about the same size. Plus the loading dock and the entry road and roads are very fast. The only thing you have to backdrag is that inside corner to the L of the building and the loading dock. There are plenty of places to put snow.

You're telling me that a 50 car lot would take you 2 hours, 3 to 4 inches of snow????????

I bet it takes 30 to 45 minutes, but I'd bid about an hour.
    1-6 inches of snow.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2008
  12. jjmcnace

jjmcnace Member
    from Iowa

I don't think that would take me 2 hours no, but I would be safe and allocate myself 2 hrs when bidding it to be safe and make sure I could do a good job. It also makes a difference whether you have any other lots nearby. I can tell you for sure that I would charge more than $125 for that lot.

It also makes a difference how bad you need another lot. If you are pretty busy already, then might as well shoot a just a little high. That's all :salute::)

13. MileHigh

definitely charge more than just an hour on this lot...

bit it @ 2 hours @ 100-135/hr, and clean the hell out of it in about 1hour 20minutes..

customer stays happy cause there isn't some guy racing around the lot trying to do it in less than 45 minutes so he can still make money cause he bid it too low, you don't waste too much time there and you still make the bread....JMO

If you wanna lowball this bid, I would go no less than 185....but I'm stickin with 265.

14. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

I would say about an hour myself, and I make it a point to baby my truck on every job. For 6" of snow, that would be done 45 - 60 minutes tops. Obviously that little nook out front would slow you up a bit back dragging, but it's minimal. You can C that out 75% - 80% anyway. Is there shoveling......what kind of place is it? Will there be alot of cars there holding you up, or does it have normal business hours?

15. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

I agree and would also estimate 2 hours. This is assuming that you are plowing the back/side areas and the driveway, which I'm pretty sure you said you are. Since I could probably knock it out in less than 2 hours, I would go $200.

16. LoneCowboy

If you miss bidding by an hour on a wal mart sized lot (high or low), you miss by less than 10% (probably), not really a huge deal.

If you miss bidding by an hour (high or low) on a lot this size, you miss by 50 to 100%.
    That's a big deal and either you are going to get crushed (if you bid low), or you are simply not going to get what could be a profitable job. If you think it takes an hour, then add 10%, don't add 100%, that math doesn't work.

You wouldn't take a 10 hour job and bid it at 20 hours, you would bid it at 11 hours.

17. jjmcnace

jjmcnace Member
    from Iowa

Maybe you were just a little to low Lonestar. You said previously that you are now doing a lot for $185 that somebody else use to get $385 for. Looks like you could have gotten a little more for that lot. Did that business come looking for you because they thought they were getting over charged?

I'm here to learn just like everybody else.

Like I said in my last post why cut it so close. Maybe I could get it done in an hour, but I personally would not and do not bid mine that way.

18. plownoob

plownoob Senior Member
    from ny

add a lil cushin for the pushin. plowing time that is.

19. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

$310 depending on exchange.

20. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

King City gets quite a bit of snow and with all those feilds around there is going to be alot of drifting. $400 sounds high to me for your area but do they take salt?