1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

how much for this house

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by jeffex, Dec 21, 2006.

1. jeffex

jeffex Junior Member

I may jump into the snow removal biz this winter for my lawn customers. Most of my houses are driveway and sidewalk like the enclosed picture. Our snow falls are usually 3-6" with an ocasional 6" to 10 ". I get $30 to $35 for the lawn. What would you charge to snow blow the sidewalks and driveways? thanks for any responces

houses 003.jpg

2. MO TOYS

MO TOYS Senior Member

you didnt do the druveway much justice with the picture

3. jeffex

jeffex Junior Member

they are all 1 car wide and this is the longest one at approx 60 ft long. Most are approx 40 ft long. its an older picture I took more for leaf removal

4. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

If that driveway is a single or double car driveway, I would say somewhere around 30 bucks. Your going to get a lot of different responses in here due to the prices being "all over the place" from region to region.

5. jeffex

jeffex Junior Member

i included what i get for the cut so people could guage the income levels of my customers and what they can afford. I realize areas are different. It helps to get different opinions. What would you charge for this lawn in your market ? that would help me with my initial pricing should I decide to use my 28" snow blower to make some money.

6. lazerslicer

lazerslicer Member

Same.

I would probably charge the same for the lawn between 30 and 35 depending on how deep the lot is,,,,, prolly $30 guessing that the lot goes to the telephone in the back. snow i would probably be 25 for a one car wide driveway 30 for a two car wide driveway....

7. YOU HAVE TO SAY WHERE YOU ARE!!!!! IN grand rapids, we could get $10 a time. tough luck for us.

8. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

I'm with lazer on this one in terms of pricing. However, if this was my 41st driveway and I didn't care about picking it up, I'd definitely go $35/push. I get like that when I'm past my average # of driveways.

9. jeffex

jeffex Junior Member

I forgot about the location. Catonsville Md. I am a carry over from lawnsite and I thought my info would carry over with me. I was thinking of charging the same as the lawn price for a snow up to 6".

10. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

40 bucks a push with sidewalk

11. jeffex

jeffex Junior Member

keep in mind I have no plow only a snowblower. 9hp 28" 2 stage that will fit in the bed of my 4x4 truck. I considered a plow for my atv but there is just not that much snow here.

12. BJH Snow

BJH Snow Senior Member

I have about 10 driveways just like the one in your picture and I charge $25 per driveway and if I have to shovel the sidewalk, I add and additional $10.

13. Andy N.

Andy N. Senior Member

In all reality, it will take you longer to clear the driveway and walk with a snowblower than it would to mow the lawn (if you are using commercial mowers),and the snow is not as reliable as a weekly mowing contract. If my guys have to snowblow a driveway instead of us plowing it (for reasons such as concrete, pavers etc.) I charge a minimum of $50.00.

Now, if you are just looking for some money generating services in the winter, then you could charge around $35 (like others have said), but if you really want to make some profit at the end of the day, I would jack that $35 up. If you do charge over $35, then make it clear that you will do a nice job...i.e., seeing to it that the path to the mail box is clear from the road crew plows, opening up the apron to the driveway and on and on. Its the little things that make the difference, that don't take much time, but show a quality job.

14. jeffex

jeffex Junior Member

thanks for the help. I know I will have to judge my prices after I do a few but it helps to have a starting point. Andy, I think your right. If I want a top dollar price I should do the extras that only take a few minutes but may require I bring a shovel. I use walkbeinds to mow and my customers know I'm not cheap. they are used to having the best lawns in the neighborhood but not doing snow in the past has never been a problem. I work full time as a mailman so I can mow at my schedule but you can't do that with snow. I got a free snowblower from a neighbor who moved . I never would have invested in one because there is not much snow here in Baltimore. When I retire in a few years I hope to expand my business and would like to include snow services. I may have to hook up a light kit so I can do a few before work and after. You can't count on it to snow only on days off!!!

Last edited: Dec 23, 2006