1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How much for efficent is a back blade?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by QuadPlower, Sep 15, 2008.

1. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

Photo_091208_001.jpg

Just picked up a 97 Dodge with an 8' Snow Way V-plow and 7'6" back blade. On residential drives or anywhere where I have to pull the snow backwards, how much easier is it going to be with the back blade.

Photo_091208_001.jpg

2. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

A lot easier and quicker. Great for all driveways. :drinkup:

3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

The Sno-Way should have down pressure. It will work great for backdragging. Worst part of the back blade is if you pull snow out and get stuck in what you pull out. With practice they work good. Make sure it has a "float" position or you will leave some marks coming out of a driveway.

4. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

From what I hear they;re great. The only problem is the length they add to the truck

5. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

how does that snoway V work? do they have two center pins?

it looks like you recieved a good setup there. i would like a backblade for my truck also, but i need the extra drives for incentive.

6. ServiceOnSite

ServiceOnSite Senior Member

ive been wanting to put mine on my truck for a while, everyone says there a killer set up for loading docks and driveways, thats about it i guess. anything you would backdrag

7. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

They can make short work of cul-de-sacs and circular drives. Any circle is a ***** for any front mounted plow. You can run both around a circular curb and not need to "chisel away" at it.

8. Scott's

Scott's Senior Member

How do you have the susp set up on that 1/2 ton? Its looks strong.

9. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Care to quantify how many times this happens? The stuck part, that is.

Marks can be taken care of by urethane edges if it's a problem.

Even with DP the back blade makes you way more productive because it pretty much eliminates turning around.

For driveways, I'd say it would cut your time by at least a third, maybe more depending on how you currently plow them.

10. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

i would tell almost any person that doesnt need to have a spreader,.... you should have a rear plow.... it doesnt stick out that much.... at least the daniels does not.... plus DP is great...

drives and loading docks... best way to go, however you would be surprised to how many smaller parking lot applications it eliminates....

instead of waiting for traffic to clear, and backing up on a busy road... i just back up to the property line.... i can keep my truck in a safe more visable area... dont have to wait fot the traffic.... this is true on a street, or just backing up to other drive lanes, at gas stations or stores...

instead of plowing your entire lot facing one dirrection , then turning around to push areas that were missed you hit it all at once...

the boxed ends cut the curb lines and making your property look as if you snow blowed the curbs

you can drop the rear plow first, let it fill up with snoe, then drop the front blade.... you carry alot more snow with you , if your tring to relocate it, rather than straight push it

11. QuadPlower

I just got the truck. It was set up with stronger coil springs in front with Rancho shocks. In the rear is a helper spring. The tires are load range H. It is a ruff ride, but compaird to my other trucks it's a sports car.

The rear blade doesn't have float. Of course right now it only has UP. I will post some time about correcting that, because my efforts so far have not worked to figure it out. I am strongly considering puting a poly cutting edge on it for fear of scrapping the drives.

The Snow Way is an older version. It has the double piviot pin in front like someone asked about. The control box on the dash has a switch for Down Pressure. It lights up, but has no effect on down pressure.

The back blade sticks out probably 2' from the bumper. Not a big deal if you remember it is back there. I plan on mounting marker polls to aid in seeing it.

So on a short/normal/30' driveway, would you back in up to the garage door, lower the blade and pull the snow to the end of the driveway. Raise the blade and drive out. Turn right in the street, back up and then pull into the drive with the V foward and push the snow into the yard? That is how I have thought about it. If anyone has a different description, I would love to hear it.

12. QuadPlower

So angle the blade in toward the center and drop the rear blade. The normal tail swing of the truck will swing out the box blade which will "rub" on the curb picking up snow and cutting the edge clean.

That might work on any corner even in a parking lot.

13. Mark Oomkes

Exactly.

Remove the tailgate for better visibility.

And T-Man is correct, it is great for circle drives.

14. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

yes, you will almost wonder how to do it with out one

15. hydro_37

from iowa

Hey Mark....re-read it again. NO Where did it say you WILL get stuck.....I said you could possibly get stuck............:dizzy:

16. Mark Oomkes

I know what you wrote, and I am still wondering how many times this could possibly happen? :dizzy: :dizzy:

Specifically based on your experiences with a back plow.

17. hydro_37

from iowa

It only takes once to ruin your day.......:nono:
    I personally didn't get stuck using a backblade but have spoken to people that have. I only used a backblade a few times and they do work good.

18. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Trust me, do it once and you wont do it again!!!!

19. Mark Oomkes

Thanks, I've been using back blades for over 25 years, my father has been for over 45 years, getting stuck in what you have pulled out with the back blade is basically a non-problem. I've been stuck several times pushing too far or attempting to stack or even when I was young and stupid trying to go through the middle of a pile instead of taking small bites off it. But I've never been stuck because of the snow from my back blade.

20. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

Make sure you pay attention when you back up. New a guy that forgot it was there when he was plowing with the front and put that into the homeowner's light pole.