1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How much for driveways/parking lots

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by STREETGLIDE, Oct 11, 2009.

from OHIO

I am new to the plowing business and was wondering what an average small driveway is worth say 2 cars wide x 4 cars long. also what about parking lots the size of a small mcdonalds with salting.
  2. Exact Services

Exact Services Senior Member

Since I don't have a plow and I clear driveways with snow blowers only I base my rates on at least $1+ a minute. I have what I believe to be the most time efficient blowers available in the USA. See my sig for equipment.

Last winter with heavy snow a typical retirement community driveway fee would be $25-$30. If I'm already in the retirement park a super short single width driveway might go as low as $15 that is only 10 x 20 feet long plus a short walk. Non of these retirement driveways are conducive to trucks with plows. A friend of ours [not in the park] with a longer estate driveway would be $35-$45. On a prior storm a truck with a plow charged them $30 and it took him almost 30 minutes. But this is on a non-contract basis "call when you need me"...."pay at time of service". I advertise "No Contracts" in this community. I market this way specifically since the one contractor in the park who pretty much has a monopoly for the area that runs $250 to $380 or so per season and many of the retirees think they are getting soaked. :confused:

Maybe that makes me a lowballer since I'm not charging $45 min for the 10' x 20' driveway. There is no way you could get that here.

I would think if you're not pulling well over $2 a minute with a truck and plow your not doing well. :waving:
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2009