1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How much for cuttting edge?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by DareDog, Mar 14, 2011.

1. DareDog

DareDog PlowSite.com Addict

How much for a new cutting edge for a 78 7.5 speed cast plow?

Last edited: Mar 14, 2011
  2. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

3. DareDog

7'.5" blade

4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Try this ,call the dealer and ask.:)

5. DareDog

i dont think they make them for speed cast any more.

6. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

ill look i might have one

7. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

All of the dealers up here still carry edges for a Speedcaster.

8. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

9. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

The cutting edge on my 8' speedcast from the 1980's is the same as the 8' MM1 from the mid 90's ( which it should be since the moldboard did not change) and it appears to be exactly the same as the edge on the 8' MM2 I just picked up from 2004.

OP- when they ask size, they mean edge size too- the blade you have is 7'6", but to you want a 6" tall edge or 8" tall edge and 3/8", 1/2", or 5/8" thick.

Unless you have a weight issue on the front axle, I would suggest a 6" x 1/2. Fishers tend to be trip happy and chatter IME with 8" edges and 3/8 thick ones wear out too fast.

10. DareDog

thinking what would be cheaper, cutting edge or a used blade, found a whole setup off of a 88 gmc for $200 its a few hours away and if i buy it i have to take it off of the truck. thinking of going for that option as it will give me a back pump and extra parts.

11. BillyRgn

BillyRgn Senior Member

Not a bad idea but I bet it needs a cutting edge to.

12. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Cutting edges are consumables- they will wear and regularly need to be replaced

13. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY Senior Member
    from CT

i bought a 8ft steel edge 3/8'' thick for around $160 i believe

14. DareDog

the whole part of botom of plow that flips needs to be replaced,

15. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

It only has to be replaced when you wear it too far into the spring mounts on the back to where the spring mounts will break. Back when Fisher introduced plows that was how they were intended to be used- there were no cutting edges- it was only in the 60's that cutting edges were popularized on them.

FWIW, the trip edge (the bottom part of the plow) from a Speedcast and MM1 are the same but the new blade style (MM2 style) will not interchange to the old blade style and the old ones are not available from Fisher any more.

If you want post a pic and we cal tell you if it needs to be changed or not.

16. DareDog

also one spring broke off this winter,

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. DareDog

18. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

There's not even a cutting edge on that.

19. Tracy89

Tracy89 Senior Member
    from Maine

I think that what he calls a cutting edge is really the trip edge. Doesnt look half as bad as mine did this past winter...might want to fix the hole the tore the skin though...i think i would try and find a cutting edge for it. mines been worn down pretty bad and i put a cutting edge on it just to geta little bit longer out of it...I have a trip edge off a speedcast if ur interested...

20. Tracy89

Tracy89 Senior Member
    from Maine

I correct my post already....spoke before reading the entire posts of the entire thread...my bad. I probably would suggest picking a different blade all together. IMO for what its worth to fix the one that you have up you can get a decent one, where i live anyways.