1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How much for a concrete gravel/salt/mulch/etc bay

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by riverwalkland, Mar 7, 2008.

1. riverwalkland

riverwalkland Senior Member

I am wondering how much the large concrete blocks cost to build a bay for mulch salt etc. I guess the price would have to include delivery and setup as I dont have anything big enough to move them around. I know the price probably varies from state to state, but i'm just looking for a ball park. Thanks

p.s. as for size, somthing perhaps to hold at least 30 yards of material? about a little big bigger than this:

[​IMG]

2. nicksplowing

nicksplowing PlowSite.com Addict

I PAID A 100 A BLOCK WHEN I BUILT A BIN LIKE THAT BUT IM IN PHILLY MAYBE MORE MAYBE LESS WHERE YOU ARE GOOD LUCK :drinkup:

3. riverwalkland

Thanks, Thats about what I figured...

4. chev_4x4

chev_4x4 Senior Member

I have been looking into prices for bin block recently, I have found they range from 20-35 dollars a piece, and the set up/ delivery is about $65 an hour. Best of luck.

5. riverwalkland

Is that for ones as big as above? Or more like the size of a large cinderblock

6. accentlawn

accentlawn Member

rent a material handler to set them up.

7. chev_4x4

chev_4x4 Senior Member

The prices i was quoted was for 2x2x6 foot blocks

8. riverwalkland

that sounds like a great price, I hope I can find them at that rate. Any Idea how much one of those weighs. I think it would be a little to much for a little tractor or skid steer wouldnt it? In that case I'd pay to have them set up. If they are not to bad, I could do it myself. Renting a material handler, and getting it delivered would cost me about 400$, and at 65$ an hour, I cant imagine it would take someone 6 or 7 hours to stack them up real quick.

9. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

the ones around here aren't real expensive...it's just leftover concrete from the trucks that get emptied into forms after each load

10. rick74

rick74 Junior Member

A few years back I got some that looked like that for thirty five dollars a block

but I needed my backhoe to move them around.

11. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Mafia blocks by me are $50.

12. SNOWLORD

SNOWLORD Senior Member
    from MN

I have bought and set literally hundereds if not thousands of these I get them for $15 a piece. The best way to move, haul, and set them is a stout log truck which I just happened to have.

13. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

we used to have some, but we used highway dividers and they were heavy.....we could only haul 8 at a time....if you have any more than that you'll need a heavy duty truck and a heavy duty trailer.

14. chev_4x4

chev_4x4 Senior Member

I believe the 2x2x6 blocks weigh around 3500-4000 lbs a piece, don't quote me on that though

15. vis

vis Senior Member
    from 4

damn local concrete plants around here want 80 a peice and then 100 per truckload to deliver them.... where can i get them for 20-50 bucks??? lol

16. PPP

PPP Member

There's a place here in Ma that sells a concrete block that is cut with recycled plastic when they mix the concrete making the block both stronger and lighter. The place is called Conigliaro Industries in Framingham Ma. Perhaps there is a place local to you that offers a product similar. I see alot of landscape places use them and move them around with a Bobcat. As I recall they are supposed to be cheap since they are made with recycled material.

17. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

looks to be .88 of a cubic yard per 2x2x6 block....that's almost $100 in material alone.....around here they just dump it at the jobsite.

18. DugHD

DugHD Senior Member
    from Maine

$35 a pc. here. Maine

19. WingPlow

WingPlow Senior Member

the place we get them at in CT gets 35 or 40 a peice, and if i remember right they weigh in at roughly 3000 pounds

20. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Last fall i paid $18 per unit. The plant said they weight between 3500-4000 depending on what concrete and water content. We used a 50 ton low boy to haul 12 at a time. I dont think a little back hoe loader will lift them. We used a Case 610 with no problems!