1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How much for a 50lb bag of Calcium Chloride?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by mkwl, Jan 31, 2007.

1. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

How much are you guys paying per 50lb bag of Calcium Chloride?

2. Snowman19

Snowman19 Senior Member

Depends, I pay $7 for a bag of tiger melt. i have seen it go as high as $13 for other cals.

3. kysnowman

kysnowman Member

I haven't payed anything. Oh yeah it hasn't snowed.

4. StratfordPusher

StratfordPusher Senior Member

Calcium Chloride

Here in Ontario I buy it for 26.00 CDN plus 15% taxes... for 88 lb bags

Not cheap, but very effective

tymusic

5. bluerage94

bluerage94 Senior Member

Depends on Brand $5-$13 Bag

6. Dailylc

Dailylc Senior Member

$9.35 per 50# plus tax

7. UNISCAPE

UNISCAPE Member

$12.50 Peladow Cal Chloride

8. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

UNISCAPE-Is this the Uniscape from Saddle River? If so, where are you getting your Peladow from for that price?

9. UNISCAPE

UNISCAPE Member

John Deere Franklin Lakes..whats Up Matt?

10. HiTECH

HiTECH Junior Member

12.50 for peladow? thats expensive i just bought 2 pallets of it and go it for $9.75 per bag

11. Snowman19

Snowman19 Senior Member

Thats because it becomes cheaper by the bag when you buy a pallet.

12. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

What...Franklin Lakes? Is this Chris from Saddle River? What's up man!:nod:

13. ghost

ghost Member

sams

Sams Club $6.68 per bag 50 pds

14. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Where is the JD in Franklin Lakes? Chris- I'm the Eagle Scout you gave the mulch to in USR this past summer.

15. lodogg89

lodogg89 Senior Member

i buy at sams club also, good price for 50lb bags

16. GTMS

GTMS Senior Member

It's funny to see Sam's club listed here. I just bought a half a skid at Lesco for $10.25 per 50 lb bag. I went to Sam's yesterday and saw it for $6.60 something a bag. My first call was to Lesco. You could hear the "oh sh*t, just lost another one" in their voice. There salt is usually nice, dry & clump free (SWI) @ $3.85 per 50 lb bag. However I have gotten two skids so far this year that have been really powdery. I mean like crushed to dust, you know, the kind of dust that throws about three feet? Anyway I went to Lesco and told them about the first skid and got a "Wow, no kidding, we've never had that problem" speech. Then on the second skid I took pictures, they supposedly sent those to the "big boss". and I am supposed to receive a credit. Yesterday on my third skid half of it is powder so it's going back today! I wish Sam's had salt by the skid!

Last edited: Feb 5, 2007
  17. firelwn82

firelwn82 PlowSite.com Addict

I'm sure they will help you out. They'll pretty much do anything to keep a happy customer. You just have to talk to the Head manager for the day.

18. customers_snow

customers_snow Member
    from 48843

First things first. Most contractors are using a blend of ice melters these days. Tiger Melt and dozens of other products are comprised of mostly sodium (rock salt - just in a smaller form) with calcium chloride or magnesium chloride mixed in. Some blends may also add a small amount of potassium chloride or calcium magnesium acetate (CMA). Typical blends are 90-95% sodium. This keeps the cost down. The calcium and/or magnesium are mixed in so that the ice melter works at lower temperatures. The potassium or CMA are mixed in to make the ice melter more environmentally friendly. However, the small percentage of potassium or CMA coupled with the large percentage of sodium does little to help the environment. In addition, potassium and CMA are poor ice melters.

PLEASE do not confuse calcium chloride with the many blends on the market. While blends perform satisfactorily in most weather conditions, they should not be confused with calcium chloride. Many bid requests will specify calium chloride but most contractors will not use calcium. It is more costly and very corrosive to equipment and clothing.

19. GTMS

GTMS Senior Member

I returned 28 bags to Lesco and they gave me 55 (a full skid) for the problem and running 50 miles to the other Lesco to pick it up. They are also giving me a credit for the other two skids. I am not sure how much yet, but the guys are really bending over backwards to make sure I'm happy. So far I am.xysport