1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How much flex Snoway Predator 18 have?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by cappaj1, Feb 1, 2002.

1. cappaj1

cappaj1 Junior Member
    from buffalo

Can anyone who owns a small Snoway plow, in particular the Predator 18 Personal plow tell me how much flex they have when they get caught up on anything? Thanks.

2. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Plows are not meant to flex although they will to some point. Plows trip. They have springs and either trip on the edge or the full blade.

3. Bryan

Bryan Senior Member

The Sno-Way Predator 18 series uses the same flex frame design as all our plows using high tensile low alloy steel. The frame is designed to flex to a point thus not allowing a for a bent moldboard. The plows trip action like CT said is designed to save the plow from damage as well as the Lexan insert gives quite a bit, lexan can dent and and expand but can also be penetrated by the right material such as rebar or a 2x4 sticking out of a frozen pile, Lexan is extremely durable if you plow correctly with it and know the lot your plowing. As for your application, call a sno-way dealer to find out if they have a mount for your vehicle, if they do not, there is a good reason for that. The 18 series is a very strong plow but the mount and nosepiece for the 18 serious is lighter duty than our 24, 25, and V-plow applications. This is done on purpose so the plow mount breaks before your truck frame. Newer Grand Cherokees do not have a front frame strong enough to hold a Sno-Way plow. Speed when plowing really determines how much give there is. The faster you hit something you can expect more damage no matter if the plow trips or not. Our 18 series plow is commercial grade but not recommended for constant commercial use. Many fleets have them for small areas, residential driveways, bank drivethrus, campus sidewalks, etc.

4. cappaj1

cappaj1 Junior Member
    from buffalo

bryan - is there a video available that demonstrates the trip? thanks

5. Bryan

Bryan Senior Member

CappJ1, that is a good question, no there is not a video that demonstrates the tripping action. We have engineering videos that are comprehensive and would show tripping action, but these are videos that can only be approved by Sno-Way to the Sno-Way dealer. I have been reading over some of your post and if you have a 1993 Grand Cherokee or Grand Wagoneer from 1993 to present Sno-Way does not offer a mount for this vehicle.

I can understand your frustration and desire to put a plow on this vehicle because clearly it could push snow but it simply does not have the front end capable of holding a hydraulic plow, at least not a Sno-Way.

6. cappaj1

cappaj1 Junior Member
    from buffalo

very appreciated info. if you know a web site i can check for any of these plows used, please let me know.

7. J.Henderson

J.Henderson Senior Member

8. cappaj1

cappaj1 Junior Member
    from buffalo

they sell used plows on that site?:cool: :cool:

9. J.Henderson

J.Henderson Senior Member

Sorry, didn't see the used part. Try ebay....seen plenty of plows on there. Don't know about used snoways though.