1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How much extra would you pay for a Stainless X blade compared to steel regular blade?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by JFon101231, Feb 6, 2013.

1. JFon101231

JFon101231 Senior Member
    from CT

I have a regular 8' MM2 setup, steel blade. Starting to rust a bit on the back of the blade, lower 3" or so, but nothing horrible. I have seen a stainless X-blade and a-frame for sale locally for $1000, and another guy I know is selling his rig which includes a SS X-blade that would consider putting my blade on his truck to sell (EDIT: plus some cash, but not sure what is fair).

1) Is it worth the upgrade? If so, why? No snow sticking, no rust, taller blade, better scraping (forward and backward)?
    2) If it is a worthwhile upgrade, what would be a fair price to buy outright or to swap plus cash?
    3) I can just swap the blade and a-frame onto my upright, correct? I don't think there is anything different on the tower side (EDIT: other than the lift triangle being stainless paint) but want to confirm.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  2. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

u dont have to change the a frame just pull the 3 pins on the moldboard and just change the blade itself!
    $1000 just for the blade? if so i would paint mine
    if u were going to swap it with a freind i would do it in a heart beat
  3. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Fisher should stop making the HD and only produce the Xblade, that's how much more I liked it over the Hd's.
  4. JFon101231

JFon101231 Senior Member
    from CT

OK, so if I could get a stainless X-blade for $300-$400 cash plus putting on my steel HD blade onto their setup, that'd be a good deal for me? I'm thinking I could sell my backdrag edge from the HD blade for $250 and probably be into the X-blade for barely any $ and have a much better unit.
  5. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Why is that? The Xblade sheds snow better but I think the HD plows take the abuse a little better. We plow some rougher accts and by no means do I beat on my equipment but in my experience we've had more breakdowns with Xblades. Not wanting to start an argument or anything, just curious.
  6. gtmustang00

gtmustang00 Senior Member
    from Berlin

Well, i do have to say my x blade still looks the same as the day i bought it. It scrapes better and backdrags better than a regular 8ft steel blade. The crappy part is you can't put wings on em.
  7. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

I've always preferred the HD. I tried my buddys X-Blade once and I just couldnt get used to it...both 8'
  8. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

You do know only thing is SS is the Moldboard skin rest off the plow is steel that still can rust
  9. plowguy43

That is odd, the only problem I had with mine was the common weld that breaks on the bottom channel that holds the skin in place.

Reason's I loved the Xblade-
    - 75* Attack Angle = scraped amazing well, WAY better than the HD
    - Center Punch Cutting Edge = Wear out one side, flip it over and use the other side
    - Taller Moldboard/Curl - threw snow much better than the HD
    - Built Heavier = More weight helped scraping as well, plow never lifted while plowing heavy snow
    - Stainless skin - Won't Rust, easily removed at end of season to clean up the painted steel and touch up/maintain the plow.

Yup - although guys have put ProWings on them, I wouldn't personally.

What is there to get used to? They are both straight blades?

Yes it can still rust, can you remove the front skin of the moldboard of an HD to clean the tight area's where salt/sand gets trapped preventing rust? No? Most HD's will start rusting at the very top of the moldboard because of this, an Xblade can be stripped down and cleaned very easily prolonging the life of the plow much further than an HD.

10. JFon101231

JFon101231 Senior Member
    from CT

OK - so back to the original question... What is a fair price to pay to swap between the titled blades? The guy selling the X-blade and A-frame for $1000 has already sold it, so I'm assuming around $600-$700 is probably in the ballpark but looking for opinions. Maybe put differently, for those of you with one, how much would you take to swap down?
  11. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

I can't speak of the Fisher blades, but with everything else I'm happy to pay more to get stainless or aluminum. ussmileyflag Thumbs Up
  12. plowguy43

I'd say you are about right, when I sold my Xblade I got around $3500 for it, a comparible HD would've went for $2500 or a little less.