1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How much does QuickBooks cover?

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by JustAGuy, Feb 1, 2009.

1. JustAGuy

JustAGuy Junior Member
    from Midwest

Question for those of you using QuickBooks. How much of your paperwork can you actually do in it? I've taken some time to build spreadsheets in Excel for crew logs, routes, etc., a database in Access for accounts, etc. Are these all things you can do within QuickBooks?
  2. jgoetter1

jgoetter1 Senior Member

Yes, but the lists you will create within quickbooks will be in a 'report' format. This will serve the same purpose but you may customize it to your specific application. If you would continue to use excel, you can take the same reports and have them translated to excel.

YPLLLC Senior Member

It really depends on how much time you have to work with Quickbooks. Setting everything up is the most time consuming...though it does save time in the end. I'm using Premier 2009. I'm sure what you're doing works fine, but i personally like how quickbooks can compile your company's information from nearly every angle. The only thing you mention that's not really built into quickbooks is routes. Other than that, after you set everything up...its a matter with keeping up with entering the data and then it produces all the reports for you. Eliminates potential for error and organizes everything really well. If i still used excel, i would have no idea where my company was at financially. good luck and if you have any quickbooks specific questions feel free to send them over
  4. Oasis

Oasis Senior Member

I find that quickbooks PRO is a great program keeps track of all my customers, current invoices, past invoices and payments, delinquent accounts and payroll if you want to pay for it. It creates some great reports and makes tax season much easier, BUT its not a replacement for creative excell spreadsheets to keep track of personalized needs. We use excell to keep track of our salt totals monthly and use those figures to input into quickbooks. I believe you can download a demo see if you like it.
  5. JustAGuy

JustAGuy Junior Member
    from Midwest

Thanks guys! Will definitely give it a shot then. I have no problem putting time into setting it up - Lord knows setting up proper spreadsheets takes some time.
  6. Deckscapes

Deckscapes Senior Member

Hire a CPA to help with your QuickBooks initial set-up. It will be money well spent in the long run and definitely help with Company reports and taxes.
  7. TPC Services

TPC Services Senior Member

Along with what Deckscape said about getting with a CPA to help you set quickbooks up, it will really help you out if he has it to!! that way 90% is transferable to your CPA's quickbooks which makes your life easier and cheaper during preperation time .
  8. nbenallo33

nbenallo33 Senior Member

we are going to start using quickbooks in a few weeks we just got all of out computers set up for it, a couple things i dont like is quickbooks dosnt have a calender to schdule apointments and also the inventory will tell you that you are low or out ofsomething but it will not put it in the po# for you but i think we can work it out once we actually start
  9. jgoetter1

jgoetter1 Senior Member

Absolutely get on board with your accountant. He'll help you a great deal with quickbooks.
  10. Ipushsnow

Ipushsnow Senior Member

I do everything in Quickbooks. From estimates to billing to banking to taxes. Worth every nickel to see who owes you what and who you owe and seeing where your money is coming from and going to with just a few clicks.

I agree it may be worth it to have it set up for you. I did mine myself but if I could go back in time I would have the accountant do it. Don't know how I survived before it.