1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How much does fuel have to rise before you pass along the cost?

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by Oshkosh, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

Here is a current issue, with fuel prices on the rise, experts are saying well over $4.00 per gal before spring, How high does fuel need to get before (if) passing the cost off to customers?

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Since I'm seasonal for plowing I'm stuck with it. Lawn cutting season ,price goes up every year and I do have a fuel surcharge if it goes over a certain price.

3. Khowie644

Khowie644 Member
    from Maine

Over 4$ by spring?
    I've been paying anywhere from 4.02$ to 4.23$ for the past 4 months.

4. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

we started putting a fuel surcharge on for customers. 2% with a $1 minimum, $2.50 maximum. we've been able to keep our fuel costs at a breathable level this way running our lawns and plowing running 3/4 and 1ton trucks. it's enough to cover the increased costs that we budgeted for when we quoted most of the jobs. if we ran bigger trucks we'd have different min/max's.

we've had half a dozen question why, when I explain it that we're just trying to cover budgeted shortfalls all were ok with it, except one pain in the ass, who is now someone elses pain in the ass.

5. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

I think the surcharge is the best way to go,fair for everyone...
    Ouch in Maine.....If its over $4 now I cant imagine how high it will go...

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  6. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I know fuel adds up but I find it's still a small % of my gross. Plus fuel surcharges seem to upset people and they also make billing more complicated. Lets say you burn 2 gallons/hour for easy figuring, fuel goes up $1/gallon, that's only $2/hour. I guess that's my take on it.

7. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Since I do it as a separate charge ,I have the option to add it on or not. If I bump up my price even more and blame fuel cost and it goes down then they expect the price to go back down.

8. Khowie644

Khowie644 Member
    from Maine

Did that 2 years ago and every single account I had said that exact thing to me.
    This year I just bumped prices a little from the get go to account for if it goes up more then 20 cents.