1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How much does a Vbox salter beat up my truck?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by TheKing, Nov 20, 2004.

1. TheKing

TheKing Junior Member

I have a '99 f250 with V10 with extra leif kit so it's more like a 350+ truck. I just started talking to this about working for him, but he said something about putting a ful size vbox spreader in my truck and i don't know if I really want the on my truck. so i'm wondering how much it will beat up my truck so I can figure out if the extra money he will be paying me would be worth putting a salter on my truck.
  2. Turfmower

Turfmower Senior Member

Salt will get under the speader and will rust you bed, frame and any thing else the salt touches. it will sit in places where you wont even think of like between cab and bed. The guy on loader wont get every bit of salt in the spreader.
    Put a good coat of wax in bed before hand and hit ant bare metal spot with fresh coat of paint. Make sure you pull spreader out and power was truck after every use don't get lazy on this or you will regret it.
  3. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Adding the extra springs is good for the suspension but don't forget you still have your regular brakes. He is going to make a lot of money from the salting so make sure you are paid really well. It is going to slow doen your plowing time as you can only use your mirrors. Put the salter on some pieces of wood going across your truck. Make sure you put one right at the back and screw some mud flaps on there. Use the big transport ones. This will help with the salt going under your truck. If you were going to keep the truck for a long time then a spray in bed liner would be best.
  4. TheKing

TheKing Junior Member

I already have a bed liner. I didn't even think about how it will kill the visability out of my rear. How much more do you think it would be worth in pay to put the spreader in my truck?
  5. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I am just north of Toronto and we would salt approx. 40 times. If I had to buy a truck just for salting this is my breakdown. Depreciation $3500, Ins. $1,000, Repairs $1,000, Fuel $50/night, Driver $125/night. I have offered some of my guys $4,000 to put the salter in the truck and $80/hr they are working and I still have no takers. They would make approx. $16,000/yr just salting. You are on 24hr call and MUST show up.
  6. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

We make more money salting than any other service. I have never had a problem with V Boxes. Our routes are very tight, so I generally have them plowed first. They then go load with salt and return to salt them. This way you don't carry all that weight while plowing. Easier on the truck. The trucks have bedliners and we hang large rubber flaps from the back of the truck. This keeps salt from getting under the truck.
  7. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

I think better yet that a older truck that is 2wd would make a good box speader truck and cheaper to buy too and not bother with even having a plow on it too.
  8. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Tarkus you are right. With a good reliable driver and a dependable truck that is the best way to go.
  9. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

I don't use v-box spreaders but a friend has several trucks with them in and he attached hinged pieces of plywood to each side of the box. When these are flipped open to load the box they cover the openings on each side and spillage from the loader falls onto the ground.

Also I see no difference in under body corrosion(frame, suspension, etc.) if the truck is spreading salt or not. Salt getting on the under body is from being on the roads the same time as the city and county salt trucks..... :nod: