1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How much does a snow bucket weigh?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by NoStockBikes!!, Sep 17, 2003.

1. NoStockBikes!!

NoStockBikes!! Senior Member

For a Bobcat 743B. THe reason I ask is that I bought a bobcat with 2 buckets a little while back, and I need to go pick up the snow bucket yet. I figured I would put it in the back of my truck, but the $5 question is can I do it myself, should I bring a buddy, or am I smoking crack and should take the dirt bucket off my cat, trailer it down there and hook up to bring it back.

Here's my thoughts: 400 lbs, I can do it myself. 500 lbs, I'll bring a buddy. 600 lbs+, I'll haul the cat. I figure they prolly don't weigh that much, but who knows. I don't want to waste my time, my buddy's time, or trailering through the city hassle if I don't have to, so any reasonable guesstimates or comparisons are appreciated. Thanks.

2. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Your truck will handle it fine. I would bring the buddy to avoid hurting yourself.

3. NoStockBikes!!

Oh yeah, not worried about the truck... Prolly would be a good idea to get a buddy to help, just trying to figure out if I need to wait until one would be free for a couple hours to do it...

4. Michael F

Michael F Senior Member

Good luck, bring the machine unless they can load it for you(have one there). To heavy & bulky to load by hand. What size, we have 74"(1 yd).

5. NoStockBikes!!

I think it's about that size... There is another 743 there, (should be there, anyhow) Should be able to use that to help, I suppose.

Hindsight being 20/20, I should have switched buckets and put the dirt bucket inside the snow bucket.

6. NoStockBikes!!

Aight, went and picked it up tonight. My guess is it's in the 400-500 lb range. I brought my buddy along, but of course I had to see if I could do it myself before I enlisted any help. I tipped it up on it's end, then backed the truck to within a couple feet or so of it, then set it against the lowered tailgate. The next part was the tough part, grabbing the bottom end and lifting it up to level, then sliding it into the bed of the truck. Victory was mine. :drinkup: Of course my buddy was wondering what he got hauled along for, so I had to explain that he was jsut insurance. :D

7. Michael F

Michael F Senior Member

You're braver than me. I know my luck, I would of screwed somthing up(truck probably) or hurt myself. I've learned to play it safe.

8. NoStockBikes!!

I'm still relatively young and dumb when it comes to wanting to lift heavy things. :D Even more so when people aren't sure it can be done and a friend is watching. :p I did let him help slide it to the front of the bed. Friggin Line-X bedliner GRIPS that. Honest to god, it was easier getting it up and halfway in than it was pushing it the last foot.

I appreciate you guys taking time to answer, though. It got me to bring my buddy for insurance, and in the ol' 20/20 hindsight, it would not have been good if I'd have dropped it on myself with no one around. Prolly would have been 12 hours or more before anybody else would have come in there. :eek: