1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

how much do you pay for a yard of salt

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Guzzo856, Dec 14, 2010.

1. Guzzo856

Guzzo856 Member

im paying 100 but its the only place around
  2. sodking

sodking Member

$58 at the docks in NH
  3. 04chevy2500

04chevy2500 Senior Member

$76 on the pier for the good stuff. gotta go w the white salt. other stuff freezes up.
  4. JohnnyWalker

JohnnyWalker Member

where in nh

where are you getting the salt at $58 a ton in nh?
  5. srl28

srl28 Senior Member

1 local supplier has it for $132 a ton. Needless to say I'm looking for another place to pickup salt in my area
  6. 04chevy2500

04chevy2500 Senior Member

you can get it the cheap in portsmouth but i wouldnt recommend it. the salt comes from a mine that is looking for ore. it is pushed to the side and left out in the rain. i am friends with one of the loader operators on that pier. he has shown me pictures of inside the ships. the salt comes here absolutely soaked! go to AXL instead
  7. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

While I'm not in Jersey, buy the salt from the main suppliers at the docks and you should be in the $55-65 per ton rate.
    One caveat: You need a decent quantity, (more than 20 ton) it should be purchased in summer, and you'll need to have someone truck it out to you.

I order my salt in July, it's several hundred ton, truck it myself (some of my postings show our quad axle) store it and if it's not used, store it longer.
    That's how I get cheap salt...
  8. Brando55

Brando55 Member

$88 per ton here in NL
  9. leon

leon Senior Member

If the ship or barge has no roof hatches its going to get soaked.

By what do you mean the mine is looking for Halite Ore if you do not mind me asking?

All the major and minor salt deposits are either being worked and or are identified.

You may be seeing imported salt from the Irish Salt Company for that matter.as they remove the potash and then take the Halite using Joy Continuous miners in 2 passes as the seams are very thick and shallow in depth.

Which Mine is it that you are referring to? The Canadian Rock Salt mines wholly owned by Morton would be the closest to you by ship from Pugwash, Nova Scotia., and The St. Lawrence River Mines De Seleine operation in Quebec.

Some solar salt operations have very dark black salt pans when they are harvested as shale will dissolve when heated as it is in sea water in the middle latitudes and and this may be what you are seeing.

A lot of the Eastern Halite that is sold is dark in color and the sea water that may wash into it only rinses the salt dust and make its color more prominant and the sea water will not dissolve it.

The Eastern Sedimentary Halte deposits in the United States will pinch out on occasion and as a result the rock will be blasted through and ends up in the salt being hoisted out of the mine.

The Louisiana and Texas Halite is primarliy off white with some shale and anhydrite as well as potash in some instances.

The Eastern Sedimentary Halite has much more shale and potash in major or minor quantities depending on the ore grading system if any as the salt has to be taken all the way to the roof horizon due to the high extraction rate which affects the mines roof subsidence.
  10. Pumpkin90

Pumpkin90 Junior Member
    from Chicago

$65 a ton in Chicago
  11. Gmgbo

Gmgbo Senior Member

110 retail per yard $62 per ton in new haven harbor
  12. 4700dan

4700dan Senior Member
    from Ohio

$69.00/ton here from cargil and thats for 600 ton