1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How much do you make on a seasonal driveway per hour?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by grandview, Jan 22, 2014.

1. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Lot of talk about making so much per hour plowing. I figure on the couple of driveways I do and time spent on each one for the season works out to 400.00 per hour ,not bad. This is just plow time on it ,no travel time.

2. MR. Elite

MR. Elite Senior Member
    from E Town

Holy ish GV!!! How big are these drives that Ur speaking of!???
    I personally try 2 stay away from resi.. But at that rate, Im starting 2 think twice…??

3. snoworks1

snoworks1 Senior Member

I have averaged anywhere between $200.00 to $500.00 depending on the season. With this heavy snow year, 3 snowiest on record, I would guess I am between $250-$300.00, as I type. I do the calculations at the end of the year.

Just plugged in my numbers this season, to date, and I am at $311.75 with 18 events at 60.5 hours of plowing.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
  4. rjm06590

rjm06590 Member
    from de

It took 18 events to get to 60.5 hours? I got 30 from this last one.

5. 94gt331

94gt331 Senior Member
    from usa

Wow pretty nice, are they all priced per push or by the season?

6. snoworks1

snoworks1 Senior Member

Actually the 18 events was if I included commercial plowing. So actual residential events we are at 14 events.

I set up and keep my routes under 4 hours. I am in a high end market where people want them done and don't want to wait 8 to 12 hours before someone shows up.

7. rjm06590

rjm06590 Member
    from de

Might have to rethink my strategy for next year.

8. grandview

To clarify,add the time up for how many plows you did on a driveway,So you spend 4 minutes each time plowing it ,multiplied by how many times you were there. So if you were there 20 times add it up and divide it by your seasonal price.

9. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

But in reality you have to take drive time into account.

10. snoworks1

snoworks1 Senior Member

Drive time from route start to finish is included in my price, if it was just plowing time my number would be double!

11. grandview

Yes and no_Only reason I have these couple of driveways is they are on my way to my "regular" plow accounts,there is no side trip to them.Considering the time it takes to do one is equal to the time spent at a red light,(if I do stop).

12. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

So I'm guessing in reality you should pick up more driveways on your way to other jobs then.

13. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

My average so far this season is upwards of $350hr. That's using my truck. Before that I was way down into the $100-150hr. using my atv.

14. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

Not a good measuring stick. I do do dump trucking for summer work and that is like if I only counted the time for the hoist to lift the box to dump the load as working time. Not the drive to to job site.

15. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

by your figuring I can have 2 drives and make $480/hour except there is 5 hours drive time between the two houses.

So Add up your driveway charges and divide by the time (from when you drop your blade at the first house till you pick up your blade at the last).

16. grandview

As stated,they are on my way to my lots with a quick pull in .So not like I chasing driveways,need to go by them any ways so I might as well pick up some easy money.