1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How much do you charge for a average residental

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by chs1993, Jan 2, 2008.

1. chs1993

chs1993 Senior Member

I've have been a sub for the last 3 years and next year i am looking at trying to get some of my own jobs. I was wondering how much an average residential goes for & what you take into consideration for determining price? any help would appreciate! thanks
  2. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

$25 for a sinlge drive up to 150 ft long. should take 5 mins to do a real good job. $30 for a double drive 150 long. If the drive has a hill i charge more. I have one client that has a hill and the drive is 75 long. it take 2 and half passes down the hill to the road to clear it completely. I charge her 30 for the double and another 10 because of the hill.$40 all together. takes me 4 mins or so.
  3. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

nothing can tell but time. the harder the job the longer it takes the more i charge. some of the smaller drives are harder than the bigger ones. i have an elderly couple with a small drive, maybe 30-40' but the drive is L shaped and goes up to the attached garage. also it has pine trees everywhere and not alot of room to deposit snow = lots of backdragging. im probabaly there for a good 15min but i only charge them $35. husband is a ww2 vet who just had a stroke and the wife always gives me homemade cookies or fudge or a sandwich lol. ill take their garbage out for them and get their mail/newspaper. nice folks
  4. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

I charge a minimum of $35 per drive, most go for 40-45 or so with some blowing or shoveling. I go down a bit for friends and neighbors, $25-$30 for most of those. You should'nt have too much trouble getting $35 for a drive. I don't and my area really sucks for landscaping and stuff like that.
  5. chs1993

chs1993 Senior Member

thanks guys! how do you guess determine salting/ graveling prices? flat charge for the equipment/price per bag x number used?
  6. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Not sure what you mean by "graveling", but if you mean sanding - when I was sanding; I'd generally charge equal to plowing for any given area. If only sanding, then I'd have a minimum charge equal to 1/2 yard. I'd base my rates on two times my cost ( I was using bulk sand/salt mix using a two-yard sander) for anything over 1/2 yard. Salting is pretty much the same, although some charge 3x their cost.
  7. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

$25-$30 per drive....damn lowballers!:mad:
  8. Scottscape

Scottscape Senior Member

$40 MIN. Regardless of size. If the kid down the street does it for $20 and I have to send my drivers or I drive there and do it, its going to be double that and thats without sidewalks. I won't get out of my truck under $20
  9. FteNelson

FteNelson Member

i plow for the town i live in
    mostly side roads and one main

then after they send me home i drive around with my plow find a few people who still need to be plowed out they ask me how much i tell them to give me a price then i tell them to double it payup

im not a fan driveways after plowing roads for 11 years lol
  10. chs1993

chs1993 Senior Member

thanks everyone! I kind of figured that was the ball park. I agree with FteNelson i would be a big fan of them either, im used to plowing malls and bigger commercials so im sure, it will be a big change but i want to start small and grow strong.
  11. DUMZ

DUMZ Senior Member

$25 minimum... usually charge $30-40. I do a few drives in a trailer park. Those I charge $25. 2 cars wide and 15' long. Takes more time filling out invoice then pushing the snow out. Any thing more then that = more cash.
  12. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

I dont know where you are, but where I come from, my fuel is $3.50 a gallon, my plows are more than $5000, and my trucks cost $40,000 from the dealership. $30 is the bare@$$ minimum, and even at that, its still peanuts. $40 on a driveway that can fit 4 cars, $50 on a driveway that can fit 6 cars, etc. I go by the car, and if it is up or down hill, I wont take it, or there is another surcharge. I get paid every 3" of snowfall too. None of this "yes ma'am, its $30 for the day, no matter how much snow we get"
  13. chs1993

chs1993 Senior Member

Gicon I have to agree with you, Your running a business, your out to make as much money as you can and profit as much as you can. :nod:
  14. wls

wls Senior Member

13.00 to 40.00
  15. tom_mccauley

tom_mccauley Senior Member

$30.00 Minimum or I won't drop the blade. The only exceptions are Active duty Military or the spouse/parents of active duty, they are FREE!!!!:angel::angel::angel:
  16. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Graveling, that's what alot of farms do around here when it's icy. They spread limestone screening on the ice, works really well and doesn't track like sand.
  17. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

$35 and up...
  18. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

we do three for $25 and one for $10 and i think one for $30,also do a couple for free. LOL we make a whooping $90 on drives!!!!
  19. ADK

ADK Member

I have most of mine set up for season contracts. 3 car drives run $175, flat and level. 4 car run $200. I do have an active duty Army that was just sent to Iraq for two years. Gave her a two year contract for $200. I try to keep 3-4 per push drives that cover my gas cost for the storm.........Good luck.
  20. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

How many plowable events do you get per snow season.....5-6??????