1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How Much Do Boss Plow Wings Weigh?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by mercer_me, Feb 28, 2014.

1. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

How much do the Boss plow wings weigh? I'm considering buying a 7.5' Boss V for my next truck (if I buy a Tundra) and if I do I want to put Boss plow wings on it and a rubber deflector. But, I just don't want to add to much weight to the plow.

2. road2damascus

road2damascus PlowSite.com Addict

Roughly 50lbs each wing....I have straight blade wings. I looked up the shipping weight for v wings for you. Same as straight blade wings, 100lbs.

3. mercer_me

I might just end up getting an 8'2" Boss V then. The extra 22" the wings add really isn't that important to me, I just want a plow that is 8' wide or more. When you put wings on a 7.5' V it makes it weigh more than the 8'2" V so, I think I would be better off with an 8'2" V. But, I haven't bought a truck yet, I'm just trying to figure out what truck I want and what plow I want.

4. scott3430

scott3430 PlowSite.com Addict

If you can buy a 3/4 ton truck, a 8.2 V with wings would be just fine for weight. I'm running a 9.2V with wings, and have no issues so far with weight. Stock front end, no Timbrens, or air bags.

The new GM 3/4 tons have I think a 6000 lb. front end rating. That may only be on the Duramax trucks, not sure if that is the rating on the 6.0 gas 2500HD pickups.?

5. road2damascus

You got nearly 5500 posts so I probably dont have to tell you that a tundra may have problems with the weight of larger plows. I believe the front end is rated at 4000. Thats unless the rumors of a 3/4 ton Toyota come true.

6. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Plenty of people are running hd and xblades on them

7. road2damascus

how they holding up? I have put bigger blades on two vehicles that shouldn't have had that much weight. Just more ball joints and suspension enhancement.

8. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Can't answer that. I know it's been done and I know it's why he's looking at bigger plows.

They recommend sd and homesteader plows

9. mercer_me

I found a guy on a Toyota forum that is running an 8'2" VXT on his 2008 Tundra double cab 5.7. http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/114-2nd-generation-2007/327813-any-tundra-plowers-out-there.html

This is what he said-
    "The plow weighs 785lbs. But with the way the truck handles it you couldn't tell."
    "We added a leveling kit. If I remember correctly it droops just a hair over an inch when I lift the plow."
    "Both the truck and plow are great! Had them both in for a preseason inspect and found no issues after 2 winters. No sign of any ball joint wear either. I do plow some drives, but the majority of our work is commercial. Restaurants and churches make up the majority of our work. Really looking forward to this winter, just put a new set of BFG ATs on the truck!"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. road2damascus

Nice looking set up. I looked up threads here on plowsite and found some with v plows. Suspension enhancements on all. There was one with a 6" lift too.

Locally, I have only seen sport duty plows on them tundras.

11. mercer_me

There are quite a few Tundras in my area with 7.5' Boss V plows and there is one with a 7.5' Snow Dogg VMD. With Bilstein 5100's and Timbrens I don't see why I couldn't run an 8'2" Boss V or VXT on a Tundra. But, maybe I'm asking to much out of a 1/2 ton truck. I just really love my Dad's Tundra and it rides wicked good plus, I don't really need a 3/4 ton and 3/4 tons don't ride as good.

12. road2damascus

If its your own truck and no one else will beat on it....I would do it. But then again I never have bought a new truck.

The wings are easy on easy off. two minutes. So you could shed weight while transporting if you went with wings.

13. mercer_me

I highly doubt it will be a brand new but, it's possible. I would be the only person plowing with this truck. I'm still unsure if I'm going to buy a V plow or just buy an 8' Fisher HD. I'm only going to be plowing two driveways and I honestly don't need a V plow but, it would be nice because my driveway is about 600' long and it can drift pretty bad at times. Since I plow for a town I can't plow my driveway and my parents driveway until it's all done snowing so, that means potentially I could end up with two feet of snow to plow. I have until next Fall to decide what I want, I'm just trying to do all my homework before then.

14. allagashpm

allagashpm Senior Member

I would bet with the amount of plowing you'll be doing you wouldn't do any damage. These plows are so easy to put on and take off there is no reason to be driving on these maine roads unless you're enroute to other driveways. I saw a nice tundra for sale in brunswick with what looked like an 8ft fisher on it the other day, not sure what your budget is like though

15. allagashpm

allagashpm Senior Member

16. mercer_me

No matter what I get for a plow I won't have it on unless I'm going to plow with it. I'm not one of those guys that rides around with a plow on all the time. That looks like a nice Tundra in Brunswick but, the price seems high to me for the amount of miles it has. The HT plow doesn't bother me because I could sell it and buy an 8' HD and the truck would be all ready set up for it. I got my eye on a 2010 Rock Warier right now but, I'm going to wait until Spring when I go back to my Summer job to buy a truck.