1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How much difference does a new cutting edge make?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Snowpower, Nov 8, 2007.

1. Snowpower

Snowpower Senior Member

Im considering replacing mine. Little rounded on the ends. Nothing wrong with it as far as I can tell. It's the original edge. Ive had it three seasons now and the blade is 7-8 years old. I dont think it was used a ton when I bought it on the truck.

But will I notice a difference?

What dictates when they need replaced?
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

What type of plow?
  3. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

I put a new one on last season 2nd snow. My edges are alredey starting to round.

I would say if it sits flat and level, leave it there.
  4. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

As long as it cleans the pavement fine and isn't wearing the frame of the blade, I would keep it. At the beginning of the season if I don't think it will last the whole season, I put a new one on. I don't want to have to change it when I'm busy.
  5. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

you will not notice a differ!

but the cutting edges do normaly wear a little more on the ends but if you have excesive wear you may want to make sure your a-frame is level

It don't matter what kind of blade it is but is it a meyer.

Did you ever get you'r exhaust manifold fixed? or did not create any more prob.s
  6. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

"Smiling" is normal. You won't notice much difference with a new edge. Just be careful how much it's wearing towards the spring shackles.
  7. Snowpower

Snowpower Senior Member

Thanks guys. It still has good steel on it so it stays.